Moving Fillister Fence Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently, whilst perusing the services of a well known online auction website, I came across a moving fillister that had a couple of photos showing a run of the mill moving fillister. Reading the description of the item caught my attention further as the seller mentioned there were two names stamped on the item; 'W. Tremble' and 'Kendall'.

Well. as some forum members will know, I'm an avid collector and researcher of Bristol planes and planemakers, and as there is a Bristol planemaker by the name of John Kendall (1786-1814), I decided to take a gamble and bought the item which had a 'buy it now' provision.

When the plane arrived I realised that my gamble had paid off and it was indeed a moving fillister with the 'I. Kendall' makers mark. :lol: However, the plane needs a bit more work to restore it to its former glory than I had anticipated. :roll: There are a few worm holes that need injecting and filling - nothing too drastic, about 10 in total, the nicker iron and wedge are missing (which I have a spare of knocking around somewhere), the iron needs de-rusting, the boxwood wear-strips need re-gluing and the plane needs a general clean and then buffed with renaissance wax. Nothing that can't be done within an hour. However, the screws that hold the fence in place are not the right ones for the plane - one is an old round headed zinc screw and the other is a large countersunk wood screw. All my other moving fillisters (19th Century) have what are known as 'cheese head' screws holding the fence in place.

So, my question is; does anyone know what the standard thread size was on these screws and does anyone know where I could acquire these screws from?

Also, would a moving fillister of this age even have these type of screws?

Latest posts

Back