Move over Dave Jeske...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
...well possibly not, but here's a scratch awl I made today in the style of the afore mentioned venerable tool maker;

2912043483_9c0399e4d9.jpg

2912048921_5b84a8df5e.jpg

Handle is Ebony, the brass ferrule was turned by my own fair hand. The point is turned from an A2 stainless bolt (I acquired quite a quantity of these from a sub-contactor who went bust on me) which seems quite effective.

I'll leave you to decide yourselves if this is a continuation of my recent turning epiphany, of the honing of my toolmaking skills prior to the festive season...

Cheers, Ed.

Ed,
No need to move over, there is plenty of room! Nice work. There is a great deal of satisfaction from using a tool you made with your own hands.

Thanks Dave, I think your market position is secure for the time being - my move over comment was firmly tongue in cheek! :D

I get great pleasure from building a collection of high quality tools around me, including your excellent paring chisels :wink: , the satisfaction coming not only from their performance in use but also the craftsmanship in the tools themselves. I have found recently that making tools adds another dimension to this, almost taking you closer to the work.

Toshio Odate talks about a craftsmans bond with his tools in his excellent book and I can definitely identify with that sentiment.

Cheers, Ed.

It is strangely addictive, I think partly because of the quick results you can get instant gratification. I have some of my projects going for months, so to be able to make something like this from start to finish in an afternoon is quite different.

The ebony is impossible to photogaph, but the deep lustre you can get on it is something else.

Cheers, Ed

Back