Mouse-Proof Expanding Foam or other Draught Proofing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Our "stable" is roofed with standard profile metal sheet, I can't remember the name but its the stuff with trapezoid rather than round corrugations. The eaves and ridge are draught proofed with foam inserts, which are very prone to mouse damage.

Because these inserts are difficult to retrofit, I was planning to make good the gaps with expanding foam. It was mentioned that there are versions of this foam that are mouse resistant, presumably unpalatable. Is anyone aware of this, and know where its available?

Or any other ideas for making it mouse proof?

Thanks,

Tony S

According to Jon Eakes , something of a TV personality in home repair in Canada, if you stretch out some wire wool into a puffy see through configuration and place it in the repair you can apply foam into it and allow to expand through for mouse resistance. Apparently the steel wool irritates the noses of the mice as they try to gnaw through.

lanemaux":2trq1o3s said:
According to Jon Eakes , something of a TV personality in home repair in Canada, if you stretch out some wire wool into a puffy see through configuration and place it in the repair you can apply foam into it and allow to expand through for mouse resistance. Apparently the steel wool irritates the noses of the mice as they try to gnaw through.

Iv'e done something similar with small guage wire netting squashed up then exp foam to successfully keep out the birds - don't see why it wouldn't work against rodents as well :-k

Bob

I've used wire wool to mouse proof gaps around pipes in the house. I'm not sure I fancy all the work involved in putting wire or wire wool into all the ridge and flashing gaps though. I reckon there are 100 or so "slots" along the ridge counting both sides, then 30 or so along a flashing above the lean-to part of the building. I could try a few and see how I get on, I think the wire would need to be inserted from the inside, then foam squirted in from the outside. The foam can't be applied from inside because the can has to be held upside down - there's no way to get it right up into the ridge.

Back