Moulding plane fabrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a look o the forum but with no luck.

I have two moulding planes of different sizes. The round is no10 and the hollow is somewhat larger.

So I was thinking about making a hollow and round to complete the set.
Through Google I found a number of sites on how to user them. How they are made was somewhat lacking.

I did find a page that used a laminated process, which piqued my interest as to how they used to be made.

The ones I have are made from one piece, how is the mortice for the iron made?

Also is this a fools errand to attempt to make my own planes?

The ones I have are made from one piece, how is the mortice for the iron made?

Depends what tools and machines you have at your disposal.
For a traditional plane, a sharp chisel and a lot of patience would be enough. A planemakers float would also help.
My advice would be that you first make the laminated kind, as this will give you a good understanding
of the internal geometry of the plane.

I bought a job lot of planes on ebay about three years ago. Among them were two no6 hollows. I used one as a mother plane mounting the other in the vice with a flat piece of board alongside to ensure that the other plane was true. Whether this was the correct thing to do or not I don't know, but it worked.

With regards to forming the mortice for the blade. I just used a chisel on this rebate lane that I made.
Unfortunately the image is a bit blurry.

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Some makers drill through and then square up with a chisel. Obviously a hollow or round is not going to have an open mouth so the mouth may be sawn.

Nigel.

Last edited:
B3nder, Here is a pdf file (53 pages) about how I did it, with complete description showing all my effort. I hope this helps you.

Attachments

• Garys Laminated Side Escapement Plane.pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 39
Thanks for the responses.

I've got much better understanding now.

Just need to come up with a plan.

B3nder, Here is a pdf file (53 pages) about how I did it, with complete description showing all my effort. I hope this helps you.

That is an amazing piece of work and an excellent description ! Thanks for posting it.

I suggest when making your first side escapement plane... to first make a rebate plane. The reason is that it is a simpler version of a hollow or rounding plane. In other words in my pdf file... you basically don't round or hollow the sole. Once you have achieved making a rebate plane successfully it will give you a better understanding of how the plane works... then you can make others that have profiles using the same principals. I have made many planes using the laminating methods in my pdf file.

Two things are very helpful, the first is an angle guide to be able to make repeatable (same angle) wedges. The second is a hand router plane with a 1/8" iron so you can clear the wood from the plane body to an even exact depth. I would say that without having both these items, it would be difficult to get things right.

If you are still interested in the techniques and tools traditionally used, search YouTube for "Moulding Plane Maker - Norman Bayliss", one of Ken Hawley's films. Shows the entire process of making a moulding plane at Wm. Marples in the 1960s. Very instructive

Back