Mortise & Tenon Magazine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
A friend has just pointed me at this on the Classic Hand tools website, which I suspect I am not the first to find ...

Mortise & Tenon Magazine

Google finds a bit more:

http://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/index.html

It sounds like our sort of thing. It will obviously have an American angle, but as a Fine Woodworking reader I'm used to translating. Anyone heard of it / plan to take it / contribute to it even ?

Seems to be generating a lot of positive interest on the blogosphere but having just watched the trailer and skimmed the classic handtools site it looks a tad pretentious.

Think I'll save my pennies and join taths in the spring.

http://taths.org.uk/about/benefits

Apolopgies Andy think I said that last year.

From what I gather by following the Norse Woodsmith blog accumulator over the last few weeks, the editor of 'Mortice and Tenon' magazine is a furniture conservator, and a practicing hand-tool woodworker. That will probably reflect in a somewhat 'academic' tone to the articles, with quite a focus on historical methods.

It seems that the intention is (to start with anyway) publication annually, but at an estimated 150 or so pages, it could be rather more than the average magazine.

I'll certainly give it a go. Bound to learn something!

This line is almost enough of a hook to get me to buy, though!!

"There are no "7 Essential Router Tricks", weekend DIY pocket screw projects, or ad cluttered pages."

Highest order work will always come with some pretentiousness. I hold up George Wilson a lot as a premier maker, and a lot of people who have their first argument with him on another site think he's pretty pretentious - until they realize how helpful he is when you have an honest question. I haven't been able to convince him to post over here yet, but I doubt most of the folks here would care if he did - there's more open discussion and fewer posts seeking advice.

I'm sure I saw prices somewhere and it wasn't cheap but then 150 pages with no ads to subsidise the printing it wasn't ever going to be.

Pre-order purchase price -- USA delivery $24USD for premier issue.

http://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/purchase.html

Scroll down and Joshua does had a list of stockists:
Australia:
The Wood Works - Taking Pre-orders
Rundell and Rundell

Canada:
Lee Valley - Taking Orders soon
The Unplugged Woodshop - Toronto

UK/Europe:
Classic Hand Tools - Taking Pre-orders

£23.90 including uk postage for 150 ad-free pages and lots of exciting pictures :wink:

Capture 01.JPG

Capture 02.JPG

Capture 03.JPG

Attachments

• Capture 01.JPG
    Capture 01.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,947
  • Capture 02.JPG
    Capture 02.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,947
  • Capture 03.JPG
    Capture 03.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,947
"Approximately 150 pages of ad-free body copy on perfect bound 70# uncoated paper."

Hard to imagine this wouldn't be worth the asking price of $24. Table of Contents looks very interesting.

I have placed an order for the mag, and am looking forward to something more substantial in content than what is available these days in the popular woodworking magazines. Like Charles, I think the price is more than reasonable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Bremner":2jhqxbkd said:
I'm sure I saw prices somewhere and it wasn't cheap but then 150 pages with no ads to subsidise the printing it wasn't ever going to be.

No adverts but they do have a list of sponsors:
The Sponsors will be featured in in two places: Here at our Web Directory and in a Sponsor Directory at the end of each print issue.

So the $24 is not covering all the costs.

I don't think I'll be buying or reading, seems too many articles on "personalities" and interviews (and too USA based) for me.

I can see what Mr_P means about it being a bit pretentious, I had not watched the video. But, it is an annual publication that can be bought as a one off to "suck it and see", and at £24, not that much to spend. I'll probably buy at least the first issue.

JohnPW":tjlv6jwq said:
So the $24 is not covering all the costs.

I don't think I'll be buying or reading, seems too many articles on "personalities" and interviews (and too USA based) for me.

A lot of it's Maine, and Maine is practically a different country!!

I could undstand the attraction if I lived over the pond and it cost just a tad more than 3 magazines ($24 = £15.83) but I don't and it its almost 5 magazines here or 8 cheap Amazon books at 1p each (plus £2.80 postage).

To order a book on the back of some internet hype, brief chapter descriptions and some very naff pictures is very generous of you. Apologies I want a review from someone I trust before parting with my hard earned.

No idea how much publishing costs but I guess the bigger the print run the lower the unit cost so they might not know yet whether the sponsorship money is for break even or the icing on the cake.

I like the idea, but am also not a buyer in the end (and not much of a reader of things that aren't what I'm working on at a given time).

I've had a lot better luck with text material that's ancient, and that's usually cheap.

CStanford":1lefrffx said:
The article about Yale University's furniture collection, alone, will likely be worth the price of the magazine IMO.

As I said if I was American I'd be more interested.

ttfn,
Carl member of the UK workshop forum.

Back