More Wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in this thread that I had done some more wardrobes and would post some pics once the client had painted them. Well he's done the painting (7/10 for effort, room still to be decorated) and I went back last week to fit the glazing and door knobs, this is what they turned out like.

bill1.jpg

bill2.jpg

The design was to be quite plain with mirrors in the top half of the doors so I went for flat shaker panels with eight panes over with small glazing bars that just had a simple cove mould to them. A shorter torus moulding to match the torus throughout the house and capped it off with some left over oak cornice moulding.

Construction is my usualy 18mm beech MFC (8mm backs) with the face frame, doors and draw fronts in 22mm MR MDF. Glazing beads were white beech as I had some knocking about and the whole thing stands on a CLS plinth that is hidded by MDF skirting. The two side returns were paneled out with MDF, you may just be able to see the shadow lines

bill5.jpg

Draws boxes are iroko with 6mm oak MDF bottoms on Blum tandem runners with Blumotion, knobs are cut glass from Door Chic

bill4.jpg

All fitted in quite well, the only hickup was the lady of the house saying she wanted full height hanging and shelves for shoes after the carcases were in place, her husband had said half hanging to all wardrobes when I quoted!! Luckily I only used dry biscuits for the midway shelves and carcase screws can be snapped quite easily once the shelf has been cut through with the cordless circ saw, I covered the slots/holes with some iron on edging.

bill3.jpg

To keep the back of the doors tidy I used a double rebate into the rails and styles to take a cmm MDF backing which holds the 4mm mirror into 3.5mm rebates with a dab of mirror adhesive to stop any rattles, its also a lot easier than fiting glazing beads to 40 mirrors, client neglected to paint the backing panels.

Jason

PS. If anyone can spot the construction error the prize is a boost to their ego :wink:

Nice wardrobes jason, not too bad a job of the painting either! Ive had a good look and i cant spot anything, other than the hanging rail in the shelf space in the top left cupboard, unless thats for the dolls clothes?

Well my guess is that the window isn't centralised over the drawer pack
Very nice as usual.

I will change my guess, you made the wardrobes to tall, the skirting was supposed to follow through, but the wardrobes look about 80mm to tall for this to happen.

The cnstruction error is:- You built the wardrobe over the door and had to climb out of the window :D :lol:

Despite that, it looks very nice.

Martin

THe bottom 2 drawers, the tils and pins are the wrong way round.
looks like the drawer sides has the pins instead of tails?

Construction error - drawer dovetails are not the same, bottom two drawers differ from the top two :wink: :D - Rob

Thanks for the kind comments.

Matt got it first, I cut the tails on the front/back and the pins on the sides, put the wrong ones in the Leigh first :oops:

Senior, wrong on both accounts, the draws are only about 5mm off due to skribing/out of plumb walls though it looks a lot more difference in the pics. If I had of gone for matching 7" skirting the chances of it being level across the room are slim and it would mean having the top rail way too high to reach. I usually go for skirting at a different height and its also two less joints to scribe :wink:

Back