More under stairs work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I started this job on Monday. It is another set of pull out under stairs cupboards. I took a template of the stairs last week which you can see in the background. I then made the face frame up allowing for some trimming when on site. With these being such large units I am making frames to accommodate them. they will be in pine with raised panel doors. Two of the cupboards will slide out and two will be hinged opening. The smallest will be hinged to allow access under a return in the staircase. These will be stained to match the stair case when complete.
I already have the door frames machined up ready for assembly but still have the panels to raise.

I got on with the doors today. After assembling them all I realised I had made a mistake!

Both the smaller doors were too tall! I could have kicked myself when I realised what I had done. I had to take them both apart again and trim them down. Ended up making a new bottom rail for them.

I left these in glue up while i started working on the slides. By the end of the day I had them in place.

Yes Keith, I marked up the template and screwed it together on site and then had to dismantle it for transport. I have used the same method for the face frame too. I shall assemble this on site after it has been scribed in. there is a cornice and skirting to scribe around and the wall and bottom newel post are out of plumb so it should prove interesting. :roll:

Thanks Keith. Been busy today after my mishap with the doors, they turned out ok.

I started work on the cabinets and got the frames and back panels made.

I got the bases cut out and a couple of the shelves.

Should get these done on Monday with a bit of luck. :D

Hi Alan, what thickness wood are you using for the frames and centre panels?
Also what materials are you using?
Im interested as we're hopefully moving into a house which is a bit light on storage space, so want to make the best use of the under stairs
Thanks
Paul

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Paul, I am using 25mm for all of the framework. The pull out units are made of 18mm laminated pine panels as are the door panels with the door frames also in 25mm. The larger back panels of the slid outs are 18mm veneered mdf and the bases fitted with the runners are 18mm MRMDF (as I had some left over in the shop) All of the face frame is 25mm too. HTH. :wink:

mailee":121t21ug said:
Hi Paul, I am using 25mm for all of the framework. The pull out units are made of 18mm laminated pine panels as are the door panels with the door frames also in 25mm. The larger back panels of the slid outs are 18mm veneered mdf and the bases fitted with the runners are 18mm MRMDF (as I had some left over in the shop) All of the face frame is 25mm too. HTH. :wink:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick / detailed response, can I check some things to make sure I've got my head around it ? so....
framework....25mm solid pine
pull out units.....18mm laminated pine
door panels......18mm laminated pine
door frames....25mm solid pine
back panels.....18mm veneered mdf
bases......18mm MR MDF
face frame.......25mm solid pine

Laminated pine versus MDF - do you use laminated where edges can be seen for big panels, or is there another reason ?
MRMDF - Is this in case of spillages, or just because it happened to be spare ?

thanks again :)

Paul

The laminated pine was purely for weight saving as the pull outs have to be ready assembled to transport. I didn't want to use laminated pine for the back panels as they are wide at 34" but the panels come in 24" widths and I didn't want them to warp and catch the frames. As for the MRMDF just because I already had some in stock.

Looks tricky! I had a similar situation recently doing some built ins in a very tiny victorian house, not a straight line in it!

Yes, this one is very similar although it's a modern house. The wall on the left is out by around 1/2" and the same on the right hand side. i have allowed some extra on the face frame for scribing on site.....fingers crossed. :lol:

Well at long last I got these fitted today! My customer works so I had to fit around her shifts. It took my assistant and I all day to fit them but I think they went in well in the end. Customer was very happy with them and that's what matters. ;)

I made some generic handles for them as she hasn't made her mind up what she want's.
Of course she wanted to try it out for size. :lol:

The last door had to be on hinges to allow access around the corner.

I was happy with the colour match which wasn't too bad. (Looks lighter on the photo) I can now get my workshop back. :lol:

Well at long last I got these fitted today! My customer works so I had to fit around her shifts. It took my assistant and I all day to fit them but I think they went in well in the end. Customer was very happy with them and that's what matters. ;)

I made some generic handles for them as she hasn't made her mind up what she want's.
Of course she wanted to try it out for size. :lol:

The last door had to be on hinges to allow access around the corner.

I was happy with the colour match which wasn't too bad. (Looks lighter on the photo) I can now get my workshop back. :lol:

Good job Alan.
Those handles not being in a straight diagonal line would do my nut in.

Thanks Bob. I had to fit the tallest handle there or it would have been too high for pulling on, but I can see what you mean. Looks like I have made a double post, sorry mods, this computer is playing up. Could someone remove one of them please.

mailee":ygktnc5b said:
Thanks Bob. I had to fit the tallest handle there or it would have been too high for pulling on, but I can see what you mean. Looks like I have made a double post, sorry mods, this computer is playing up. Could someone remove one of them please.

I understand that Alan but an imaginary line should have been drawn from the first and last knob and the middle two fitted on the line.

Back