More than 90 degree cranked kitchen hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBrown

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some free-standing Ikea cabinets, same range as this:http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/34631507
The hinges are similar to standard kitchen cabinet hinges, but cranked, to accomodate the fact that the doors are fitted inside the frame, as opposed to being laid on. They're not like some "face-frame" hinges, since the stic part of the hinge is mounted on the leg members, which are about 75mm square. I'd like to find similar hinges, but ones which open to 165 degrees or thereabouts. Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, where to buy?

John

since the stic part of the hinge is mounted on the leg members, which are about 75mm square.

Not quitre sure what you mean by this

Its possible to mount a 170deg hinge for lay on doors using one of these mounting plates which effectively makes it into an inset hinge. Heres one I made earlier :wink:

Jason

jasonB":d8vgm2et said:
since the stic part of the hinge is mounted on the leg members, which are about 75mm square.

Not quitre sure what you mean by this

Its possible to mount a 170deg hinge for lay on doors using one of these mounting plates which effectively makes it into an inset hinge. Heres one I made earlier :wink:

Jason
I meant to write "static" rather than "stic"!
The legs of these cabinets, which are around 75mm square in cross-section, extend all the way up to the worktop. The static part of the hinge is screwed this leg. So the dimension marked "x" in the diagram you linked to would be zero.
Oh for a pencil and paper!

John

Can you not buy them at Ikea?
I buy all my hinges from there. £3 for a pair of Blum hinges, can`t go wrong.

Ah just reread your post, might not sell them after all, worth a try though.

All you need is a standard 170 degree kitchen hinge like this...

20272_m.jpg

...and mount it on an 18mm backplate like JasonB suggests.

This converts it into an 'in frame' hinge rather than a 'lay on' hinge.

Simples.

:D

BradNaylor":36g7fmtq said:
All you need is a standard 170 degree kitchen hinge like this...

20272_m.jpg

...and mount it on an 18mm backplate like JasonB suggests.

This converts it into an 'in frame' hinge rather than a 'lay on' hinge.

Simples.

:D
Except that has a minimum "x" dimension of 18mm, the "x" dimension in my situation is 0mm.

JohnBrown":2jra36hv said:
Except that has a minimum "x" dimension of 18mm, the "x" dimension in my situation is 0mm.

True, but 170 degree hinges are designed for lay-on doors with an 18mm overlap. By using an 18mm backplate you are compensating for the overlap and making 'x' = 0mm.

Try it. It works. Trust me. :D

The "X" can be varied by the type of hinge you use, a fully cranked hinge will give X as 18mm, a semi crank will give X as 9mm (as shown) and a straight arm (overlay type) will give X as zero.

Jason

Forgive me, but I can't see why you wouldn't use an ordinary butt hinge or lay-on type butt hinge in these circumstances.

Mike

I'll get some 18mm backplates anf give it a go.
Thanks to everybody who responded.

JB

I have a similar based oak kitchen from Ikea with extra bespoke cabinets that I made to match.

I got the inset hinges from Isaac Lord - they are standard clip on items.

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetai ... t=5/366/67 is what I used - look at the third one on the list where it says 'application inset'. It is the 'inset' hinges that you need.

Misterfish

Mike As the unit is already drilled for consealed hinges I would assume thats why he wants to stick with them rather than fit butts and fill the holes

Misterfish the standard Blum insets do not come in a wider opening than 107deg, John wants to change these for wider opening 165Deg doors.

Jason

If you look at the Blum catalogue they list 170 degree inset hinges where they say to use the hinges designed for twin application with a 9mm spaced mounting plate. I can't get the link to work but you can get to the catalogue from the http://www.blum.com website. So they are available, all that is needed is a suitable distributor!

(The link I have tried is http://www.blum.com/pdf/katalog/ka090_e ... KP-002.pdf but it will not work directly),

Misterfish

If you look at the Blum catalogue they list 170 degree inset hinges

Assuming you are looking at page 90 (15 of 144)which covers the 170deg hinges, they show the use of a duel or twin hinge and 9mm mounting plate.

As both 170deg duel hinges and 9mm mounting plates are not readily available to joe public off the shelf that is why Dan and I have suggested a layon 170 deg hinge and 18mm plate which are readily available in small quantities.

Unless you are looking at something different.

Jason

Latest posts

Back