Model plane !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.
I've never flown a model plane but I can't get my head around the physics!
Trevor

he's alright at that ain't he. :)

the physics is easy, massive amounts of power, 2 way prop, no weight and enough control surface to make it basically unflyable, as much as I'm impressed with his flying, I wonder if it would fly in a nice neat circle or straight line. :D
look at the aspect ratio of the wing, horizontal and vertical surfaces and the amount given over to control surfaces.

damned impressive both in terms of the plane and the pilot.

I have been flying R/C aircraft for about 30 years and I have no idea as to how he does 1/2 of what he has shown there!! :shock: The skill involved is incredible!

My R/C flying is almost all with pure gliders with 3 electric soarers thrown in. The one below is what's called a PSS, Power Slope Soarer and a beauty to fly and watch.

Thank you for posting that

Novo, if he can fly a flat circle on a knife edge then rest assured that he can manage "a nice neat circle or straight line. :D" even with all the control throws he has mate :mrgreen: I am not sure if he would have a variable pitch prop or just reverse the motor? The motor used will be a 'brush-less' job. Basically a 3ø motor and you could reverse the rotation with the flick of a switch on the 'tranny'.

I squirted the link off to another glider guider mate of mine and he too was mightily impressed!

Attachments

• Magister Andy F.jpg
    Magister Andy F.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 590
I'm not trying to take anything away from him with my "a nice neat circle or straight line" comment Jonz, I'll put money on it that he could run rings around anything I could manage and I'm positive that he could maintain a perfect arc with it, very much dowt a more "normal" pilot could though, twitchy would be an understatement. I certainly couldn't fly a more mudane 3d as the inputs were just to fast for my "average" ability (owners words not mine).

It won't be a variable pitch prop, it will be a large prop with low twist spun crazy fast, the low pitch lets it stall and spin backwards quicker too (which is a bonus). in real world terms it would a climb prop. your not only trying to drive the frame forwards but also chuck a shed load of air over the control surfaces, so big prop is gooood.

nice soarer, I don't have anything left to show, it's all in boxes for when the kids are older and I have time again.

I realise that Novo and I wasn't having a dig at you either mate, 'onest guv :mrgreen:

Just for they wot don't know. The model I showed is a Fougar Magister. It was a basic jet trainer for the French, and loads of other air forces as well. Mine carries the markings of the Belgian display team (yes, they do/did have one :shock: ) I was lucky enough to have a good look at the last one still in military service, also Belgian, at Kemble several years back, when it was part of the Air Day. Me and a mate, who also has the same model, had a long chat with the 'driver'. Not everyone's choice, but I love it :?

My models haven't been out of their box for that long. That's after our move back from France. Now they are destined for more box time for our move from rented to owned.

I have just had another look at that indoor flying and I'm just as impressed. Some of those manouvers are just not possible!

I see that he didn't land the plane - he lifted it out of the air, which is impressive .
The landing forces must be too much for the lightweight structure .

Brian

John,

Different planes. Your youtube plane is red, mine is white. The white planes looks to be more versatile than the red - a lighter plane?

Brian

The skill is trueley remarkable and as you can see that ain't a big prop, it isn't needed. OK, he didn't go backwards, but I will bet it's about the same size prop on the others.

Since we got back from France I have been introduced to brushless outrigger motors and LiPo batteries and they are so much smaller and lighter than the stuff I had used before. I have a 2m span elect soarer and with a NiCed battery pack in it it would climb quite well, but I put a LiPo pack in it and it has transformed it. With a brushless motor it would probably rip its wings off! The tech is beyond my belief.

I also have a quad copter. All of about 3" square. I can plug the battery in, switch the tranny on, throw the quad in the air, open the throttle and it stabilises itself! I have great fun with it, but mt grandsons can run rings around me with it!

P.S. I forgot to say that it cost me less than £9 delivered!

I'd say that for the mass of the plane it's a pretty big prop but in comparison to a "normal" plane, yer ok it's not that big. not much pitch on it though and half the wing is control surface. It all changes when you add in vectoring though, as you can start to push air where you want it instead of having to work around a fixed plane.

brushless DC has been a real game changer, before them no way would a large quad fly and half of whats being built now in fixed wing wouldn't have flown. the tech is trickle down, we are seeing smaller quads with normal motors now but all based on the brushless motors that can before it.
we did have ducted fans before, but the power output of them now is immense, like lift a person immense, it's a different league to just 5-10 years ago.

not to mention better radio gear at cheaper prices and in smaller neater packages (still got my acom 4 and 6 channel stuff but can't see it going back in a frame).

It's starting to look like a viable hobby for the masses again now instead of being reserved for the more persistent of us. might take a walk down to the local club and see how busy it is on a sunday morning, that'll be the real sign that it's coming out of the dark ages.

This is my club.

http://scsa.org.uk/

If you are around the Stroud way on a Sunday morning come and see us. Have a look at the compass on there and that will dictate where we are. The only trek on it is up on Cam Long Down. That's all up hill, but what a view!

This is one of my favorite models. A near scale 1932 Minimoa, 10' span and a delight to fly and see.

Attachments

• ME & MINIMOA 2.jpg
    ME & MINIMOA 2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 397
Back