Mitre gauge - bar depth (V27)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been eyeing up a mitre gauge for a while now, with most seeming to fit a standard 19mm x 9mm slot (3/4" x 3/8"). As I have an old Startrite TS I figured I would have no problem, but before pressing the order button thought I had better just check the slot dimensions. width - 19mm - check. Depth - 6.5mm :shock:

Does anyone know whether the bars themselves are 3/8" (9mm) in depth so it wouldn't fit in my saw (ie it would be 3mm proud of the table) or whether the bars are thinner that that and the 6.5mm I have would be fine. It is a second hand saw so no idea if this is the original depth of the slot or whether the table has been surfaced previously and some depth has been lost.

I know I could (probably) replace the bar with something that would fit the slot I have, but would rather not if I can get away with an off-the-shelf product. I was looking at the Incra V27 but if there are alternatives with thinner bars I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm in the same position myself. The slots in my Startrite 275 table measure 3/4 x 1/4. I also wondered if the table had been resurfaced but concluded that couldn't be the case since there's no gap between the table surface and the rip fence. I also wondered about cutting the slots out deeper, but soon decided that was a good way to turn a nice table into scrap iron. I haven't bought a mitre gauge for it yet, but as I'm building a router table I'm about to take the plunge and buy an Incra V27. I'm expecting that I can remove the mitre bar from it and fit a home-made one to suit my table saw slots, so I can use the gauge on both machines, albeit with a bit of fiddling. Plenty of posts in this forum suggest that hardwood is good material for a bar. I'll let you know how I get on.

You will probably find the dimensions of the mitre gauge cater for US machines, which differ in so many ways to "old English" type saws where there is not set standard for mitre slots, each manufacturer having their own dimension.

I have an Incra mitre gauge, they are fantastic accessories, so should you decide to buy I would factor in having to find/buy bar stock to fit your mitre slot.

I have a 1000SE - a great piece of kit.
It fits my DEFT TS but not my old Startrite 352 BS but the one that came with it works fine and the Incra is far too big for that table?

Rod

Anyone recently bought a mitre gauge for a Startrite 275 ???
I’m looking at Jessem or incra and it seems I will need to replace the guide piece.
I have a V27 for my Startrite. I bought a piece of gauge plate, 3/4x1/4 18" long. It needed honing slightly on the narrow faces, I used 3M lapping film glued down to the tablesaw table, then stuck the V27bar to the new bar with double-sided tape and marked the holes, drilled and tapped. Works well.

Back