Mitre / chop saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandad Les

Reaction score
My cheapo B & Q mitre saw is 15 years old and has been used occasionally for right angle cuts only. I need to make a number of 170 x 125 x 50 mm display frames from 10 mm pine. Any tips on improving the accuracy of my saw or should I splash the cash on a new saw?
Also is it better to cut the miters with the 50 mm sides upright (blade at 45 degrees to the fence) or with the sides flat on the table (bevel cut, blade at 45 degrees to the table)?

someone else will chip in
but if you can stand upright you would get a cleaner burn free cut

Steve

Hi I'm no expert but my take on this would be to mark the desired angle on the timber to be cut ,make a test cut on the waste side of mark then adjust accordingly until you have desired angle.

how many are you making?

If a new saw is a consideration, I would also think about one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37141490 ... 931&crdt=0

use the current saw to rough cut, then shave the last few mm off using the guillotine.

If not, then I would research a suitable shooting board. Again, use your current saw to rough cut to length and tweak using a sharp plane and the shooting board. you will get a much better finish than from the saw, and at an accurate angle. I dont have one of these- it is pure theory on my part, but I have seen good results from other people.

The problem with a new saw is that it will probably be better, but still probably wont be ready for gluing up, so you still have a similar problem to what you have now.

Thanks guys for your advice. The request is for 10 frame's initially so I think that the guillotine is too expensive. I will try the shooting board method next and see how I get on.

Back