Mini gloat :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, after making my own "grooving plane" some time ago, finally there are some other news.

I wonder what is that ugly box used for?

Rec043-box.jpg

Well, let's take a peek inside....

Rec043-box1.jpg

Wow', it's a Record 043!

Yes, it arrived safely....

A bit neglected, with rusted rods, so naturally I had to make shorter rods immediately - some 7cm long, just about long enough for what I usually do (boxes).

A bit of cleaning, and it's quite usable.

Of course, I had to make a box to house the plane and accessories (blades, long rods, etc.) when not in use.

So, it was used in making the box it will be stored in :)

Some obligatory test shavings first.... (that's a piece of pine)...

Rec043-shavings.jpg

The box is made of pine with some Doussie for the lid. A bit rough, but it's purely "utilitarian", not for show... I resawn some (almost green) pine on my new "mini" bandsaw (25cm /10" wheels), so this box was a first in several ways - first resawn boards, first use of Record 043, first hand-cut box joints (with first serious chisel work)... I thought about dovetail joints, but decided against it, since the pine I have is definitely too soft for such precision work - the box joints were easier, although obviously done by a beginner. Just don't look too closely.... - that's why I made the photos so small :)

All in all, I'm happy with it. The small Record now has a nice storage box to protect it (and not too ugly, considering I'm a total newbie), and in the process of making it, I've learned a few things.
The Record 043 is really a nice tool - I'll probably make a few extra blades for it in the widths I use most frequently.

Rec043-box2.jpg

I also added a wood fence (some Jatoba scrap, I think). Might replace it with a nicer one later - I have some Padouk which would look and work a lot better...

Looks like I've finally found the replacement for my (gasp!) tailed router.

And the silence when working is a reward in itself - not to mention nice, thin, curly shavings instead of a load of dust!

Regards,

Denis

Denis,

Well done on making a nice box for the most useful of grooving planes I think there is .:D

The slope seems suitable greased for you, abandon all hope. :whistle:

Good stuff! Great housing for a fab little plane.
(Mustn't let my 43 see this post though - it'll start feeling hard done by having to slum it with the router crowd in the odds n sods cardboard box)
Cheers
Steve

Denis

Great work. I'm not familiar with the 043 and didn't realise it was so compact. It clearly gets the job done, though.

Regards.

Evergreen":3ve1ii1x said:
Denis

Great work. I'm not familiar with the 043 and didn't realise it was so compact. It clearly gets the job done, though.

Regards.

Evergreen, you'll find everything you want to know about small grooving planes here:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/groovingplane.html#043

Naturally, that's Alf's site :)
That's what got me interested in those little jewels...

Like you said, it's compact, and does the job perfectly. And the job I got it for is grooving - think grooves for boxes, drawer bottoms, etc. (mainly boxes in my case).
Actually, it's a very precise tool, despite its lack of blade depth adjustment - I found it quite easy to adjust the blade depth by "feel".

So, for precise grooves it's superb - the fence and the depth stop are adjustable, and with a little care the end result is always excellent.
Even the lack of blade in the exact required width wasn't a problem in my case - I needed a 4mm wide groove, but I have only 1/8 in (about 3,2 mm) and 3/16 inch (about 4,8 mm) blades. So I used the 1/8 in blade for the first run, and adjusted the fence slightly to widen it just a tiny bit to arrive at the required groove width in the second run. No problem at all!
However, it would be easier to have all the blades one needs, so I'll have a few extra blades made in the widths I might need - probably 4, 6, 8 and 10mm.

In short, if you need simple grooves now and then (and you dislike the 'lectric routers, like I do), the little Record 043 fits the bill!

Denis

Woe betide me if any of my ploughs and combis get the idea that they should be living in such a des res... #-o Proper job, Denis. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Alf":gc8obxb4 said:
Woe betide me if any of my ploughs and combis get the idea that they should be living in such a des res... #-o Proper job, Denis. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Thanks, Alf.

Anyway, it's your fault entirely :)
Seeing your page on combis, I just had to get me a Record 043 - even though I made a DIY "grooving plane" some time ago. As for the "fancy box", well, I had to have a place for all the extras which tend to get lost (blades, rods, etc.). Seeing I got it mainly for box making, it was only logical to make a wooden box for it, getting it to work on the very box that will house it. Kind of self-referencing - I liked the idea. ;)
Needless to say, it (the plane) passed the test with flying colours....
If only the operator wasn't so clumsy... But, the way I'm progressing, in a couple of years I won't be ashamed to show some of my work :)

Paul Chapman":gc8obxb4 said:
Nice plane, Denis, and I like the posh box 8)

Paul

Thanks, Paul.
Dunno about "posh", though ;) More like "proletarian", I'd say...

I got the idea from some photos I had saved lately.... I think I got a serious bug - the "slippery slope" is taking its toll... I've been reading up on planes for quite some time now, and reading this forum didn't help, either.

Philly's web site also gets quite a number of hits from my computer, I think :)

Anyway, I got the idea for the box from FWW site, here:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Gallery/GalleryImage.aspx?id=4270

One of the photos of Flaherty's planes shows some miniature planes with their boxes - those got me thinking...
Seeing that I need to practice some box joints, I decided that a simple box for the new plane would fit the bill perfectly. So, even if it didn't come out perfect (as it turned out), I can always say that it wasn't a showpiece, but a simple storage box...

BTW, that link above to Flaherty's planes is really something - some quite hilarious planes there... ;) I'm particularly fond of the piglets... :lol:

Denis

(Edited for typos...)

Nice plane and a nice box! I admit to making one for my 043 as well, but I am doing it to practice before making a larger caracase.

Here is another link along the same lines as yours.

Back