Microsoft Vista

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be buying Vista?

• No thank you. I have a Mac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I will for my personal PC

• No ..not for a year or so or until it comes significantly down in price

• Maybe

• Total voters
I wont' bother until such time as I replace my pc & that comes with it already included in the price...

engineer one":3vexcljs said:
i agree about talking to tech, but the updates are occassionally quite valuable, and do we really trust them :?

Yes, it's the updates that are important support-wise.
As to whether we trust them... well, NT4 released in the year of our lord 1996 was supported until quite recently.
Anyway, any XP boxes still kicking about post London Olympics should be running in a locked room somewhere with nobody allowed to touch them. :)

And another thing, they should switch off analogue telly now. :twisted:

innesm":1om7x9rs said:
And another thing, they should switch off analogue telly now. :twisted:
Speaking from an area where they seem to just have their fingers crossed that turning off the analogue signal will allow the digital one to work, no thanks; not until Life on Mars is finished. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1qzc4rvr said:
no thanks; not until Life on Mars is finished. :lol:

Damn, I missed the first episode and the Beeb arent repeating it, AFAICS. Cue bittorrent...

innesm":22qvp7lb said:
Alf":22qvp7lb said:
no thanks; not until Life on Mars is finished. :lol:

Damn, I missed the first episode and the Beeb arent repeating it, AFAICS. Cue bittorrent...

Well, effectively from now it's being repeated on BBC1 on Tuesday's at 9:00 as episode 2 has already been shown (& seen :) ) on BBC4. Sorry, that doesn't help you though. :(

My Mrs is intent on only watching each week on BBC1 - until the last episode which she says she won't be able to wait a week for.

A review from The Register, and a Free Software Foundation Vista attack site.

Kinda like biographies of George Bush written by the Iranian State News Agency, and Kim Jong-Il. :)

(which isn't to say GWBush is 100% great, of course. No doubt he has his faults. ;))

THe link I posted is a collection of links to other articles from a variety of sources (many of them BBC sources) for a more rounded view of various issues.

Cheers Mike

Had a quick look at the comments on this topic I am an XP user like many here and for now will be staying put until at least Vista service pack 3 is out :lol: .

I am sorry to say that I am a bit of a computer geek as well as a would be woodworker (should that be wood be woodworker?) and in my business life also deal with networks and IT personnel. Without exception all my business contacts are avoiding Vista for the time being.

Please do not get the wrong impression I am not anti Microsoft - I think that they are largely responsible for some standardisation in this diverse industry.
I guess the only way to go other than MS is join the Linux brigade

Even with its faults and bugs I quite like XP. Having said that if I had purchased anything other than software that needed so many fixes and security (read safety!) fixes, I suspect that I would have been looking for a full refund.

So as I said earlier I will not be an early adopter of a new system preferring to wait and see how it plays out

Roger Sinden":3dp7rqnu said:
Just wondered how many of you are goig to upgrade?

£350 seems a tad expensive to me. Personally I reckon that it won't have the take-up that XP had. Corporates will delay since they won't necessarily want to make the huge investment in new hardware. I can't see many private buyers (apart from a few geeks) shelling out £350 and so that leaves only those who buy a new computer.

Can you add,

"No thanks I have Linux" or change the MAC option to "...MAC or other OS" please?

I have a server with Debian Linux and connect Ubuntu Linux Desktop to that. Wouldn't entertain Gates's bloated and overpriced OS

If you go to the top of this page you should find a list of the poll options and a vote button, once you have voted this will not be displayed, instead you should see the poll results.

I think I am going to have to speak to someone in this house.
I am getting the impression that some bu**er has voted for me!!!
Anyway, Vista will be a long time waiting before it gets in here!
Many thanks.

SF

Shadowfax":2zq7jfvc said:
I am getting the impression that some bu**er has voted for me!!!
That'll be Bill. His software has so many "security " holes that it's starting to look like he resets your cookies, fills in your forms and takes a note of your key presses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shadowfax":2zq7jfvc said:
Anyway, Vista will be a long time waiting before it gets in here!SF
Good man

Latest posts

Back