• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

metal to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
what is the best substance to use to glue a 5/6mm piece of metal into a hole drilled in a piece of timber please :oops:

petercharlesfagg

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to make presentation dishes with an engraved Pewter ring set into the edge and to secure the metal I used a Two Part glue that according to the manufacturers could hold a car with only a One inch diameter blob of glue!

I never tried that but one of the dishes is still OK after nearly 12 years in a centrally heated house in Denmark.

I cannot recall the name but a search should find it!

Regards Peter.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks lads, it's the old story ,put me in a hole with three shovels and tell me to take me pick.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
boysie39":3n57j436 said:
thanks lads, it's the old story ,put me in a hole with three shovels and tell me to take me pick.
I think you will find that all three responses are talking about a 2 part epoxy glue - they are just using different names for it! Super-steel and chemical metal types include fillers and are extremely hard when set, but fundamentally 2 part epoxy based (well most of the time....)

Just rough up the metal surface a bit and use basic araldite - save the pick for use as an emergency bowl gouge... (hammer)

Jonzjob

Established Member
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have used med density cyano and it really does stick well.

I'll also go along with epoxy and I use Zpoxy lots and it's muck to a blanket jobbie! I prefer Zpoxy to Araldite and it's cheaper too! If you look at this site the bottles are 4 oz each, resin and hardner, so you get 8 oz.

This is about the cheapest I have seen it so far http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/detail.asp?id=25064#lift

I have used Zpoxy fr years on RC model gliders and you can't afford to have things let go in the air.

Latest posts