Metal glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toscageoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings

I used Araldite to glue the armrests of my mother in laws wheelchair but the handlers at Birmingham Airport still managed to pull one off.

What is the best glue to use to permanently fix it?

The tubes are stainless steel.

TIA

Thanks for quick reply.

The armrests are normally meant to be detachable - a tube slots into a larger tube.

Can you cross drill and use a sprung clip, a bigger version of these cant think of the name for them now.

Or give them a good clean and adrade then use JB Weld

Jason

The West System is basically an epoxy (Just like Araldite) but you get various fillers and things which might make it worth considering but I agree with above poster that S/steel is very difficult to bond.

The arm rests as you say are detachable.

Why are you gluing them. They are detachable by a spring loaded metal ball.

They are designed to come off to make it easier to store away.

I have been working with people with wheelchairs for 15 years and I have never heard of gluing the arm rests.

Are they broken in anyway.

Some newer arm rests are detachable with velcro.

Is it these that you are talking about.

Or is it the arm rests which normally are provided by the manufacturer and are normally moulded rubber.????

Greetings
The Weegie":y0eanp0e said:
Why are you gluing them. They are detachable by a spring loaded metal ball.

They are designed to come off to make it easier to store away.

I have been working with people with wheelchairs for 15 years and I have never heard of gluing the arm rests.

Are they broken in anyway.

My mother in law cannot walk very well and has to have a wheelchair but she flies quite frequently to the continent. She is wheeled to the aircraft then her chair goes in the aircraft hold. She has had 2 armrests 'lost' and 1 damaged when they were detached. When the rests are in place the baggage handlers more often than not pick the chair up by the armrests and they do not always stay in place. When this happens they do not always replace the arm but just put it in with the cargo which is how they have been lost in the past. This is why I want to glue them.

If you don't need them to stay in place, but simply need to retain ownership of them, how about drilling a hole in them and in the chair, and linking the 2 together with a light chain or even wire (like a bike brake-cable)?

Mike

Hi There,

The Wheelchair arm rests should remain in place when the chair is lifted. There is obviously a fault in the mechanism which can easily be repaired.

Was the wheelchair bought privately?
Did you get the wheelchair through your local Social Work Department?

What you could do is Take the rests off. Fold the chair and put the two rests in between the folding in the seat. You could then put a piece of rope round the seating bit of the chair to keep it in place.

Back