Measure twice, cut once - a salutory lesson

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
We've all heard it said, we've probably all said it. So why do we ignore it sometimes. Actually the measurement was fine, it was the calculation in the spreadsheet that was wrong. :x

When rebating a back panel, make sure to add twice the depth of the groove to the width of the base not subtract it. :x

Then whatever you do don't prefinish the cabinet backs before checking it, after all its the same spreadsheet that i normally use with no probs. :shock:

and certainly don't do it for 28 6 foot high cabinets..............:sign3: (hammer) (hammer) (homer) ](*,) #-o

A large G&T I think.

Whoops!! Sort of thing I do, but 28 backs :shock: Did you need to sit down when you realised what you had done?

Hope you find a use for the undersized parts.

John

Do all my cutting lists by hand, mistakes are unavoidable really, but usually just the odd door.

28 backs, ouch that must have hurt!!!!

Thanks for your messages of sympathy!

There were 398 pieces in the final cutlist so its slightly more understandable as to how they slipped through the net.

In the end I was grateful it was the width that was off and not the height. SInce a lot of the cabinets are different widths there is opportunity to cannibalise. I reckon on needing to cut a further 8 sheets and all will be right again - til the next time....

Cheers

Tim

Tim - guess you'll need to get 28 T shirts now :D ...'been there, done that, got the T.....'. Glad you were able to canabalise and re-use the panels elsewhere. What was the material for the back panels? - Rob

Latest posts

Back