Maximum blade width on Startrite 351 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
I have used my 351 bandsaw for a few years now and always believed that the maximum blade width was 3/4" which I've stuck to for ripping hardwood logs (usually seasoned), generally using 3 or 4 tpi skip pattern.

Was planning to order some more blades and on looking closer at the bandsaw it seems to me that it may be able to accomodate 1" wide blades as there is still a bit of available width on the tyres and appears to be sufficient adjustment on the guides.

Has anybody tried a wider blade on this model and are there any inherent advantages or drawbacks to using a 1" blade instead of 3/4" ?

With the current 3/4" 4 tpi skip blade it does take ages to rip the 10" sweet chestnut logs I was doing yesterday, having to go very slowly even though it was a new Trucut blade just mounted yesterday, so looking for ways to make it a bit less tedious !

Thks, Paul.

I took a chance this week and after talking to Dragon Saws who very kindly offered to take it back if it didn't fit, ordered a few new blades including a 1" 1.3tpi.

Having examined the Startrite 351e beforehand I couldn't see any reason why it would not take a 1" blade, although the manufacturers specs stated 3/4" to be the max.

Having received the new blades the next day (very quick and efficient :D ) I have just got round to fitting the 1" and sure enough it fits and runs with no problems at all, and whats more it rips through the large seasoned hardwood logs with no problems whatsoever :D

It was pretty tedious doing this before with a normal 3/4" 4tpi skip tooth blade but now it is really fast and easy and is actually putting less strain on the motor which Dragon Saws thought would be the case because the teeth are slightly more offset than on the normal blades so it has a slighly wider kerf which, particularly in the bigger logs (10" plus), means a lot less friction and binding on the blade which in turn makes for faster and more efficient cutting.

Highly recommended !!!

Paul.

Small world isn't it!,

I've just been in touch with dragon and they said just about the same and emailed me this link......hope it works on a 352!

Chris.

I think the max blade width spec may be derived from the ability of the frame to properly tension a blade of the given width, rather than the physical ability to get the blade in.

It's probably too late to ask Startrite, though.

Latest posts

Back