Mansard vs Apex roof shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComfortablyNumb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to build a new garden shed that will be 2400 x 2400 mm and like the idea of using a Mansard /barn style roof. Has anyone built one or what are the pros and cons?

I've built neither but am about to build a pent shed for the main reason of ease of construction. However a pent does result in thicker joists due to the single straight span, I am wondering how effective ceiling storage of wood lengths maybe, and the design results in a high front eave which looks great but is an issue if you are not applying for PP due to max eave height under permitted development rights.

Issues with a mansard roof I could see, construction would be more challenging, you are making more eaves which if head height is limited would reduce usable space, covering the roof to be water tight would involve more seams. On the upside it would look nicer than a standard apex.

Fitz

Just re-read your post title;my preference, just as food for thought [I'm by no means an expert], would be an apex with a thick
ridge member supported at either end, and the rafters only supported at their ends on the ridge and the wall tops. Maximises
head room, but it doesn't give you overhead storage [that's where spiders live!].

I think a mansard style would look quite attractive. As Mike says, you are best to construct with a structural ridge and I suppose some chunky wall plates. That way you wont need any internal collars.

If you need to keep below 2.5M then the mansard may have to start fairly low.

Back