Man wins $1.5m because ryobi don't use flesh detection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepBlue

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not making this up:

A Boston jury has awarded $1.5 million to a Malden man who injured his fingers on a saw while installing oak wood flooring several years ago in a first of its kind case that claimed the standard design of American table saws is defective.

Carlos Osorio accused One World Technologies Inc., maker of Ryobi saws, of negligence for failing to include a flesh detection technology that would prevent most serious injuries, according to a copy of the complaint filed in 2006 in US District Court in Boston.

After five surgeries and years of rehabilitation, two of Osorio’s fingers are permanently disfigured and unusable, and he has suffered numbness and loss of feeling in three other fingers.

“Hopefully, this means the industry is finally going to recognize that catastrophic injuries could be averted and they need to make this technology standard so people don’t have these senseless injuries,’’ said Richard J. Sullivan, one of the lawyers representing Osorio.

One World Technologies said it had been advised of the verdict.

“We are evaluating the results with our lawyers, and evaluating how to proceed,’’ said Jason Swanson, a spokesman for One World Technologies.

“Notwithstanding the outcome of this trial and any possible appeal, we remain confident that the saw which was the subject of this lawsuit was well-designed and manufactured with all due consideration for the needs and safety of the consumer.’’

Osorio’s case is one of more than 50 lawsuits pending throughout the United States against the major table saw manufacturers for failure to adopt the technology, which would stop a power saw blade almost instantly upon contact with human flesh.

During Osorio’s trial, an expert witness for the defense acknowledged that if the saw had the flesh detection technology, it would have created a 1/8-inch deep cut on one finger, Osorio’s lawyers said. Instead, Osorio suffered near-amputation of one finger and severe lacerations on four other fingers.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/mald...6/man_wins_15m_in_first_of_its_kind_saw_case/

I injured myself on an SCMS last year, but I rightfully expect to be called a simpleton for not using it safely and with due care and attention. As Frank Klausz puts it "The saw doesn't know the difference between flesh and wood. If you put your hand there it will cut it". Nuff said.

Other saw manufacturers may include the technology but are most people going to pay to replace their existing equipment before it expires?

I don't think so.

Mike.C":3oln6d47 said:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/money-for-the-stupid-t39981.html

Someone has beat you to it :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Doh, that'll learn me for not searching properly first

Latest posts

Back