Makita SP6000 Plunge Saw flaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Makita is the only plunge saw I have owned so I have nothing to compare it with but the plunge seems smooth enough to me.
The blade that came with it is excellent and I have had no cause to change it yet so cannot speak to that.
All I really know is that I have not had one single second of regret about buying it.

I own the Makita, a friend owns the Festool TS55R, I've used both quite a bit.

I know the issue the op is referring to, the guides on the saw base are further apart than on the Festool so as you get to the end of the track the first guide can leave the rail before you've finished the cut. However if you set the 1400 rail so it overhangs the sheet equal it will make the cut, two small marks on the rail helps to line it up correctly without having to measure each time.

Compared back to back both saws have their positives and negatives. The depth setting on the Festool is much better, especially on the newer TS55R. The blade change mechanism is slightly better too, the Festool locks it's blade whereas on the Makita you still have to manually lock the spindle, no big issue but worth pointing out. The Makita has a much better motor, more powerful and quieter than the Festool, the Festool is also quite fussy about its power supply, if you are using it on a long extension or other tools are running from the same power source the motor slows dramatically to the point it can struggle with 18mm MDF. This is made even worse when running through an extractor. The anti tilt mechanism and scoring function are positives on the Makita too, although if you are using as a system your Festool tools will not run on the Makita rail, the extra lip used for the anti tilt gets in the way. Used with an extractor there is no noticeable difference between the two.

The fact is both are very good, a plunge saw really is a very versatile tool and an absolute godsend if you regularly cut sheet materials. They also save a heap of time if you have to cut doors down, say after floor coverings have been fitted, they'll slice through prefinished veneered doors with virtually no splintering. The more you use them, the more things you find for them to do as well, well worth the purchase price over a regular circular saw in my opinion.

Dominion":2eria6gx said:
the Festool is also quite fussy about its power supply, if you are using it on a long extension or other tools are running from the same power source the motor slows dramatically to the point it can struggle with 18mm MDF. This is made even worse when running through an extractor.

:shock: Even on a 50m or 100m extension lead that should not happen, the voltage drop will be minimal. The motor should be able to run on anything from 220v to 250v, most of the EU having a 220v mains supply. Either there's an underlying issue with your friend's Festool or it's a bad design.

That is an interesting, and pleasing, comparison. I have often wondered if I should have paid the extra and got the green job but couldn't see how it could improve on the Makita.

The comment about the Festool losing power has spooked me, and I've decided to delay our group test of plunge saws a month so that we can investigate. So far the Mafell is looking like the best, but that's hardly surprising as it is the most expensive, but it will be interesting to see if the Festool lines up alongside the middle-of-the-roaders (Makita, Bosch and DeWalt) or beside the Mafell. Then there are the cheaper Scheppach and Triton, with the latter only launched recently.

Apologies, I should have pointed out that these are 110v models running through transformers. However the fact remains that the Festool had an issue whereas the Makita didn't on identical supplies. It isn't an issue isolated to one job either and on each occasion we were running on mains power, albeit stepped down to 110v.

Dominion":17w3wxq5 said:
Apologies, I should have pointed out that these are 110v models running through transformers. However the fact remains that the Festool had an issue whereas the Makita didn't on identical supplies. It isn't an issue isolated to one job either and on each occasion we were running on mains power, albeit stepped down to 110v.

Interesting. I'm considering the festool but will need the 110v for work.

Nick Gibbs":3up79euo said:
The comment about the Festool losing power has spooked me, and I've decided to delay our group test of plunge saws a month so that we can investigate.
Wow, who'd have thought a single post on a public forum could wield so much influence, lol! Be interested to hear what Festool have to say about this; I've never come across (or heard of, tbh) any kind of 'power drop' on a Festool saw (apart from the protective circuitry that prevents damage to the motor if you've been working that blunt blade a bit too hard) and there are enough TS55 owners on here who use their saws to earn a living who would have noticed something like this if it happened regularly, surely? I'm not a 110v user, but perhaps others could pitch in if they've had issues??

So far the Mafell is looking like the best, but that's hardly surprising as it is the most expensive, but it will be interesting to see if the Festool lines up alongside the middle-of-the-roaders (Makita, Bosch and DeWalt) or beside the Mafell. Then there are the cheaper Scheppach and Triton, with the latter only launched recently.
Out of interest, which Mafell are you using? And what's the criteria for 'best'? OK, OK, I'll buy the magazine and find out.. ;)

Pete

It's the Mafell MT55. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that so early before the results are posted.

One of the real problems with testing a group of products like this is that we can look at the features, and use our experience to evaluate which seems best, but by the nature of it being a group test, with limited time, we can't give them long-term testing. There is always a fear that faults will be revealed by users that don't come up in the tests. That's one (but not the only) reason I delayed publication. I didn't want to rush in.

Hope that makes sense. I will make sure everyone knows when the test is being published. If you register for our free bulletin you'll get a heads up.

Cheers

Nick

Nick Gibbs":dps0xcjt said:
It's the Mafell MT55. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that so early before the results are posted.

One of the real problems with testing a group of products like this is that we can look at the features, and use our experience to evaluate which seems best, but by the nature of it being a group test, with limited time, we can't give them long-term testing. There is always a fear that faults will be revealed by users that don't come up in the tests. That's one (but not the only) reason I delayed publication. I didn't want to rush in.

Hope that makes sense. I will make sure everyone knows when the test is being published. If you register for our free bulletin you'll get a heads up.

Cheers

Nick

You could do something along the lines of what the bike mags do as in having a long termer for a few months. Maybe one of you could have a plunge saw, one a router, etc.

The long-term bike tests are excellent, but easier in a way because the writers just commute on them for a bit. The logistics of machinery is trickier, and we have fewer staff writers (1, me). Group tests are difficult over a long time, mainly because there isn't room in the workshop for so much stuff. It's frustrating. But I'm happy to admit that forums do help with the long-term element of a group test, except that not all items in a group test will be represented (the Triton plunge saw is brand new), and we don't necessarily know the experience of individual members. It's an interesting dynamic. We want to make our tests more rigorous to match the depth of experience in the forums, but there is only limited time and resources.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nick

No skills":18umwqyy said:
Sounds like you need a few more testing staff...

Yes. But I don't have the money! Hopefully going monthly will bring in more revenue and as a result I'll be able to employ more testers. It's an important role for magazines, but not that easy to do in reality, especially group tests.

Thanks for the thought.

Cheers

Nick

I have used 3 different festool saws, two were 110. And they both had power issues, especially when cutting a 45, it was really noticeable. The 240v was fine. My own one is the dewalt version, which has loads of grunt.

One small point to consider is if you ever came to sell your saw the festool would fetch a higher price 2nd hand. I know this coz I've been trying to buy a used one and they are almost selling for the price of a new one....

2millout":2jh2bmif said:
One small point to consider is if you ever came to sell your saw the festool would fetch a higher price 2nd hand. I know this coz I've been trying to buy a used one and they are almost selling for the price of a new one....

This is definitely true. My first plunge saw was a Bosch GKT55 and I'm very happy with it but could almost cry when I saw someone selling theirs on this site - they were practically giving it away. Festool hold on to their values much better.

Back