Makita Drill / Driver - Excessive Play?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a 10.8V Lithium Ion Makita drill & impact driver. They seem like really nice tools, but I'm a bit surprised by the amount of sideways play in the drill chuck. I can move it from side to side enough to see movement in the shaft where it enters the drill body. This small movement translates into several millimeters at the drill bit or screwdriver tip (about 5mm). I know a few people on this forum have purchased the same drill and I was wondering if this was normal or if my drill may be faulty. I'd be grateful for and feedback.

Thanks,

Richard.

I just tested mine and with a drill bit in, projecting about 100mm it moves up and down about 1mm either side of centre.

I did the same test with my Metabo BSZ Impuls and it moves by almost exactly the same amount. That doesn't really prove that either is right, but they are the same. I cannot say I have ever noticed it being a problem in use

There is a bit of movement of the plastic collar around the chuck, but that doesn't affect the bit itself. I had a close look at the chuck when I got the drill as I was suspicious of movement but based on what I have just measured its consistent with other drills.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks for your reply Ed. I just tested my drill the same way with 100mm drill bit and the sideways movement is 10mm at the tip i.e. 5mm either side of centre. This seems a bit excessive to me and if yours only has 2mm movement I'm wondering if my drill is faulty. I think I will have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks,

Richard.

I'd say 10mm movement is definitely faulty and should be returned.

Incidentally, in the US both the drill and the impact driver are supplied with a hex socket fitting only. this made me wonder if the chuck is removeable and that the hex fitting is underneath? It may not be and that the UK model with the chuck is different...just wondering.

Cheers, Ed

Checked mine and there is maybe more movement than I'd have expected. Doesn't seem to cause any problems in use though. I was drilling with a 5mm drill bit tonight and it went through with no problems.

Where are you Richard? You might be close enough to one of us to do a direct comparison.

Cheers,

Dave

It's been a few weeks since I posted this query. At the time I spoke to the dealer - Anglia Tool Centre - and they reassured me that the large amount of play in the chuck was normal so I didn't return it. This weekend I used the drill properly for the first time to fix some plasterboard with drywall screws and within an hour the gears in the drill started slipping. At first I didn't realise, thinking it was the drill clutch, but before long there was almost no torque left at all due to the slipping. I feel that as the drill was obviously faulty from new it should be replaced with a new unit, but Anglia now inform me that because I have had it for a few weeks it will have to be sent back to Makita for repair - despite the fact that I only kept the faulty unit on their advice. I now wish I'd sent it back as soon as I got it as I'm not confident that a repair will return the drill to new condition. Under the circumstances do you think a repair is acceptable or should insist on replacement?

Thanks, Richard

Richard,
What ever you do don't accept a repair, it'll come back to haunt you.
Only accept a refund or replacement, your well within your rights as it's not "fit for purpose".

Jeff

We've got loads of these in the workshop because we're testing them against other brands. These drill drivers are superb for the small workshop because they offer a good balance of power and small size. I've had a quick look at model we've got here, and you're right there is some movement in the chuck. I will talk to Makita about this. I'm not absolutely sure it matters that much, but it's obviously something we will discuss in the test. I think these drill drivers are so superb in the package they offer that I'd forgive them some failings, but those are all points we'll cover.

Cheers

Nick

Richard.
I had a similar problem with an 18 volt Makita drill, in the end the motor would spin but not the chuck.
Makita to their credit took it back & replaced it with a new one. I don`t think it would be worth stripping a drill & replacing parts as the bare body (which is all they replaced) would be pennies to them.
I hope you get a satisfactory out come to your drill problem.

Doug

rjb":1f55ffm2 said:
I feel that as the drill was obviously faulty from new it should be replaced with a new unit, but Anglia now inform me that because I have had it for a few weeks it will have to be sent back to Makita for repair - despite the fact that I only kept the faulty unit on their advice. I now wish I'd sent it back as soon as I got it as I'm not confident that a repair will return the drill to new condition. Under the circumstances do you think a repair is acceptable or should insist on replacement?

Thanks, Richard

Under the sale of goods act you are only entitled to a refund or replacement, the act does not entitle you to a repair although many manufacturers like to offer it.

If it was me i would insist on a replacement, quoting the act i find normally brings the desired result.

Cheers

Mav

Thanks for all replies and advice. After another phone call to Anglia they agreed to send me a replacement drill and it turned up next day. The new drill seems altogether better so hopefully I'll have more luck with this one. There is still a bit of movement in the chuck, but nothing like the last one so I don't think it'll be a problem. For a moment there I was starting to doubt Anglia's customer service, but in the end I think they very fair and they dealt with the return / replacement very efficiently.

Richard.

Back