Making The Future: A Furniture Exhibition (lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so Nick. It's pretty unattainable to hobbiests. Too expensive to buy off the shelf and very in depth to make your own. Plus they use a lot of room if you want something of a decent capacity. That said, it is something I'll do, one day. Probably when I get a bigger workshop (and a gold encrusted tablesaw, and a flying pig).

Nick Gibbs":39jghym8 said:
Mattty":39jghym8 said:
I assume it is cnc done. It would certainly make sense to do it that way.

Would people be interested in us doing something about CNC in the magazine? How much it costs? What you need? Can you get it done by a third party?

Cheers

Nick

I would be very interested, especially in seeing smaller companys using them. What they use them for and the cost/economy of them.

Wasn't another of his pieces with the pyramid effect featured in F&C not too long ago - and yes I think it was CNC.

There's a CNC machine in the college shop and I've never been remotely interested in going near it

I too would be interested in CNC especially a DIY project build with budget components to understand the critical parts and where the trade-offs and compromises lie.

Bob

PS I've just renewed by sub for 2 years so maybe see something on the subject in that time frame?

woodbloke":1anebbtc said:
The Burt pieces do absolutely nothing for me (and never has done, even though his 'shop is just up the road from me) and the Savage chair is hideous IMO (as is a lot of his other stuff) The chest of drawers is pleasant but the best piece by far (from what I can see of it) seems to be the one by Alan Peters...and they don't come any better - Rob

Rob, your right- Alan Peter's stuff he really is extra ordinary. I would love to have spent a year or 2 as his apprentice. Have you been to the Musuemm in Cheltenham -
http://www.cheltenhammuseum.org.uk/
I was there about a year ago. They have a few permanent A.P. Pieces and some amazing Arts and Crafts stuff. I highly reccomend anyone to go.

woodbloke":dj3z642t said:
This has been documented somewhere in F&C on an article on Burt. I used to work with a maker who had spent some time with this character and found him to be pretty unpleasant as I recall

He speaks very highly of you too, Rob!

You'll not be popping round for a brew, then?

:D

Brad

Back