making a clock HELP PLEASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. ive just got the free clock kit from my faithfull wood supplier , fantastic offer with a sack of blanks from home of wood , but i,m confused.
Can some one help me. How do i hold the 8 inch clock blank etc , i,m puzzled as im still new to turning how to turn and finish it all with out messing it up.

This all may sound stupid to you all :shock: but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pat

hi
i have just made a few clocks - i assume you mean a quartz clock movement about 2 inch square by 3/4 inch deep.
if it is this type i made mine using a screw chuck.
first of all drill hole to suit
mount and face off and create an inset about 3 and 1/4 inch wide - you have to decide the depth to suit the movement you have.
i then spaced out positions for the number positions - i dont use numbers , i use a contrasting timber instead and glue pieces in to replace the numbers.
then turn it around on the screw chuck (you may need to use a spacer so you can clean the face up without the screw protruding through) and clean the face up.
hope this makes sense.
paul-c

if you have a faceplate.
screw some scrap ply (6 inch disc?) or similar to the faceplate, and drill a small pilot hole in the centre.
take clock blank and drill hole in centre and screw to ply using the pre drilled hole as a centre guide. hot glue or doublesided tape will help hold it in place.
spin it up and shape edge and rear face, including recess for clock mech if desired and sand and finish.
unmount, remove hot glue/ tape, reverse, remount and repeat on face of clock. finish and remove.

Latest posts

Back