Mafell KSS60 18v crosscutting saw and OSB.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
Greetings. I have been "blessed" with a paid OSB cutting gig and I'm fed up with waiting for my comrades to finish cutting and changing cables, vacuums, etc. So I'm thinking of getting a battery saw and going off grid and into the wilderness.

Does anyone have such a thing and what's the best blade for OSB ?

@Jacob, I will not be making any torsion boxes or MFT whatsists, so you can rest easy.

Not familiar with the Mafell version but I have the Festool HKC, corded saw (wish it wasn't!) mostly use it when cutting roofs, with the angle setting facility on the rail, makes it easy to cut hip & rafter angles, I have used it on its own for cutting sheets and OSB sheathing with a 36t blade, and a straight edge guide rail made from 2 bits of OSB, good site saw, (I see the depth of cut is about 12mm less than the Mafell though) I also have the Makita DRS780Z 36v rear handle saw as well, for real off grid jobs, very pleased with that as well.

@HOJ Oh yes, I already have a battery set for that @ £219 from Screwfix delivered tomorrow :Twothumbsup:. Someone else recomended that, I'll give it a go and see if it's good for what I want.

Thanks.

This is mine set on a "its not an expensive track saw option gizmo" I use for cross sheet cutting, used this for roof and wall sheathing a field shelter late last year in the middle of a field, It did a cracking job of cutting the Onduline roof sheets as well, and all with the blade that came with it, only thing it doesn't have is a side fence, but I found one off an old skill saw that fitted.

Makita saw.jpg

I think it will do fine for what I want and I'll set up a cutting bench with some self made track like the one you have. I bought some 5Ah batteries and a charger and I'll spray it with a custom day-glo yellow paint job so I can find it a mile off.

Cheers

Is that to stop them being nicked, someone's already had the paintings!!:)

Nice opportunity, I don't suppose your going kicking and screaming though, presume the building is up for restoration, I had a company from London, late last year, ask me to quote for supplying some quite complex joinery into a property with similar elements, sent me loads of drawings and spreadsheets, I think they had me mixed up with someone else, mind you I did cut my teeth working in and around London and still have good contacts there, just all to busy for me now.

Last edited:
My lads both went to the Skinner's School in Tunbridge Wells - excellent place.

Went to Skinner's Hall a few times when working in the City - lovely place. Mind you, many of the guild halls are exceptional buildings... Saw quite a few when I was a regular blood donor - the transfusion service loved the guild halls...

This is mine set on a "its not an expensive track saw option gizmo" I use for cross sheet cutting, used this for roof and wall sheathing a field shelter late last year in the middle of a field, It did a cracking job of cutting the Onduline roof sheets as well, and all with the blade that came with it, only thing it doesn't have is a side fence, but I found one off an old skill saw that fitted.

View attachment 156323
I have the exact same saw and home made rail.
It really irritated me that it didn't come with a side fence

Martin

First impressions, very good. Not sure why we can get a US version c/w batteries, charger and bag on the mainland for
€ 190.00 though and it's a shame it's made of Chinesium, but there you go.

Works good thoughbut and I'm happy. I'll see how it gets on tomorrow, but I'm confident that it's going to be just the ticket.

Back