Mafell ksp 55f

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I see this is at a resonable price at the moment (depending on point of view I guess) I have not had the chance to handle one. Is there any disadvantage to this saw compared to the Festool or advantage for that matter. I have looked through previous postings and probably don't want to get into the EZ guide thing thanks. I did try to find the Bosch system online but came up negative. Is there any reason to buy the Bosch?

Cheers Alan

HI Woody

I own a Bosch GKS86B plunge saw and three lengths of Bosch track. I also have an adaptor for the Bosch GOF900ACE router. So, is there any reason to own a Bosch? If you already have a Bosch jig saw or router that you want to use with a compatible track system, then maybe, although personally I wouldn't use a router of jigsaw with a track system as I feel that there are better ways of doing things. The GKS86B saw hasn't been a happy machine, either - it suffers from a base plate which isn't really stiff enough. Could this be why Bosch withdrew it a few years back, or could it be troubles with the plunge mechanism (as I write this mine is back at the repairers for straightening out, yet again)? The current Bosch saws are from all accounts much better, being a lot less complex. The Bosch track sections are no better or worse than the deWalt, Mafell or Festool ones from what I've seen of them, so I'd say it depends on what you are looking for in the saw, and what your budget is.

If I were looking for a replacement saw to use on my existing track and I were just to be using it to saw-up sheet stock or do flooring work then I'd say the Bosch system will be cheaper than either the Mafell or Festool (DW are apparently no longer in the market). I have no com,plaints with the majority of the Boscvh tyools I've had over the years with the sole exception of the GKS86B which hasn't really been rugged enough for site work.

If I wanted a saw to carry in the boot of my car, however, I've got to say that the Mafell KSP40F with it's roll-up track would be my tool of choice because carrying 1.4 metre lengths of track around in a car or van is a pain. I believe that we have one or two members with these so perhaps they'd care to comment. Other than that Mafell have a system on some of their saws which cants the blade by 5 degrees off the vertical so you can make a scoring cut as opposed to Festool who have special (expensive?) blades for laminates. Another difference is that Festool saws have a base plate which allows the user to make bevel cuts with the cut line apparently staying constant when the saw is used on the rail - potentially useful, but not for me as I would probably never attempt a bevel cut out on site.

I doubt that there's much in it in terms of build quality, though, between Mafell and Festool. I have machines from both and they are equally well nailed together.

So the conclusion: Bosch is OK if you don't want all the bells and whistles and will cost less, Mafell or Festool depends on which features you want, but both will cost more.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit

I must admit to a sneaking suspicion if anyone was going to reply it might be you :) appreciated. I am not sure I know what to do still though. I don't need it for site work, although storage is always an issue. The 55 is a bigger machine for only a few quid more. I'll have to ponder a bit more maybe the question will fade away and be replaced by another must have.....Nah

Alan

I have the mafell ksp55 and used it quite a bit. and very very happy with it, so happy with all the mafell stuff that i have bought the biscut jointer and the orbital sander, this stuff is way top over any other brand there is.

They are a very innovative company and produce reliable machinery

the guide rail is top

I've had a Mafell and ali guide rail for about 5 years, (comment v Festool in the 'rate Festool saws' and some other 'portable scoring saw' posts. I chose it for cutting sheet goods, & best build quality at a less dramatic price than Festool and an ability to score cut; it hasn't given any cause for complaint. I wouldn't want to go back to a Hitachi or DW and a plain straight edge.

As mentioned a number of times before I have the Mafell ksp55. It's a great machine which does what it says on the box. I haven't had any problems with it. It's just the right size (any bigger would be cumbersome and smaller would be useless (depth of cut)).

I couldn't and still can't afford the Festool. The main advantage of the festool to me would be the electronic motor control thingy. I have a metabo drill which has this feature and it's fantastic. It powers through anything.

As for the guide rail bevel cut thingy feature I've never used my mafell for bevel cuts.

I would like a shorter rail but just don't have the money for it.

Dave

must say for me the mafell ksp40 is decent kit, pretty quiet, well designed base plate, and the rail which rolls up is good news, decent cuts, up to 41mm so works for most worktops.

i would think about the next one up though because it has the right angle guide for cuts up to 16 inches and offers greater depth too. worth thinking about because they are well made and a decent price.

storage is also an important issue, and the plastic container is useful and not to heavy. :lol:

go for it :roll:

paul :wink:

Thanks All

Sorry to those who have previously mentioned they were pleased in other threads, I just couldn't seem to find what I wanted from the search on this occasion. I was tempted by the 40 with the roll up guide, my difficulty is getting my hands on any to look at. My local dealer will get me one in and is trying to price match D&M today.

Cheers Alan

Oh well the deed is done my local supplier rang this afternoon and matched D&M's price and were so pleasant I couldn't say no :) Funny how a general enquiry to see if they stocked them resulted in me buying one. I guess I don't know how to say NO ....to :tool:'S
They timed it just right though, two sheets of 8 x 4 pippy oak MDF arrived 30 minutes before they called.

Alan

Back