Made a start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. I am on the final varnishing stages now. Oops! I don't think I should have used that word here. :oops: I managed to get it much better on the third attempt and after four coats of sealer! I too know why I don't put a finish on my projects very often Tony. It has been a while since I stained any pine and I had forgotten all the problems in the past. (Must be my age) I shall of course take some pictures when it is finished later this week. It will have to be finished this week as I have a rather large gazebo to build starting on Saturday! Pictures of that to come too of course. Unfortunatley Tony most of my customers don't want to pay the high prices for hardwood so I am stuck with softwood at the moment. I love working in hardwood, but needs must I suppose. Will keep you all posted. :wink:

Well after another cock up in the finishing of this piece it is almost ready. I shall post a final pic tomorrow if all goes well. After giving the doors one final coat of varnish, (oops that word again) one of them reacted and so had to be stripped down again and re stained and varnished! I have now put on the final varnish coat and am praying tomorrow all will be well so I can deliver it to the customer at last. Will keep you posted. :roll:

Not quite ready yet. I had to recoat one of the doors as it was a little pale compared to the other so tomorrow should see the completion at last, not a minute too soon either! :roll:

Well finally got it finished at long last. It still wasn't perfect but as close as I was going to get it so I thought I would risk it. I was worrying for nothing as the customer said it was wonderful and really went overboard with admiration for it! She said she liked the look as it made it look more antique. Oh well as long as she was happy that is the main thing. She has also asked me if I could make another piece for the upstairs landing too so she must have been happy with it. :D I also managed to fit her a curtain pole while I was there so managed to make a little extra at the same time. :) I will not be staining another piece of pine that is for sure! :evil:
Here is the finished item (excuse the washing line but I was in a hurry) :roll:
yhfinishedatlonglastposqw6.jpg

Back