Machine cables...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just gone to fit 16A sockets to my Hammer machines (panel saw, spindle moulder and P/T) only to find they are only fitted with an unusably short roughly 600mm of cable each. :roll: More cheapskating??

Does anybody know of a neat splashproof 16A 3 core/single phase 2.5mm2 in line permanent connector type I could use (ideally with flexible entries at both ends), or is it as I suspect best to get into the terminal boxes on the machines and fit a whole new cable??

Ta

Is it possible to mount a 16amp, fixed plug in a convenient place on the machines and terminate your short cables in them.

That way the machines will not have any trailing cables when needing to move and your feed cable socket will be firmly secured when connected.

hi ian,

been there. felder changed mine foc with a sensible 3m length. after much complaining.

jeff

Thanks guys, some options there. The socket on machine deal has some definite advantages, although having just coughed up for wall mounted sockets and plugs it'd smart a bit.

I'm surprised Jeff that your Felders were short too - I thought it'd probably be just a Hammer thing. Not sure I have the patience at this stage to go to bat with Felder though.

Ian

times are tight ian.....penny pinching abound.

i used the argument that a plug or connecter trailing on the floor would be a major hazard. couple that with the big sign on the electrical connector door saying that if i opened it (to fit a new cable myself) i would invalidate the warranty! granted the engineer was coming anyway.

if you dont complain ian, you are doing future customers a disservice. it is your duty.

short and/or inflexible cables are the bane of my life...when it's not minus two in the shop anyway... :(

jeff

You should complain, because you can bet that in the new year they will be pestering you to buy something else, this is my experience with them and I guess like the rest of us you will have had to wait a couple of months for your machines while they got around to getting them to the UK.

I will never by another machine from Felder again.

I have just bought a new thicknesser and I did not even consider them.

Tom

Hi Jeff

After looking at new and second hand,what I could afford at the moment, if I should have a more industrial machine, and also because of Dodge's views on the Axminster TH410 I went for that.

If that had not been around I would have bought the Rojek one of the same size, but as I can have three Axminster ones for the price of the Rojek one I decided that it was worth a gamble.

A joiner I know bought a Hammer planer thicknesser and spindle last year and the Rojek spindle I have is a far better machine. He has kicked himself about it since.

I have a Hammer pad sander and Rojek spindle and to be honest there is not alot of difference in the build quality, the Axminster thicknesser is slightly less well made as you would expect for the price but it works as it is susposed to.

The main problem I have with Felder is they don't have any fixed prices and you suddenly find that this is and that is an extra, pushing the price up all the time.

And once they have got your details they are on the phone wanting you to buy more kit all the time ( how many sanders do I need? )

Tom

Hi

If you're looking for a good selection of industrial connectors try RS Components - www.rswww.com or do a search for Mennekes which are a good brand use them all the time aboard ship. IP44 is the minimum rating and if you're seriously concerned about water then IP67 but the cost rises considerably.

The most professional solution is to fit longer cables - connections being the most likely point of failure - but with that warranty situation its a bit more complicated I guess.

My instinct is to fit new cables of a decent length MB, as I think I'll not be moving them very much.

I've lobbed a missile off to Hammer Jeff, but am not holding my breath....

keep at it ian.

they do seem to want to sort out problems, they did keep sending engineers until my machine was properly set up. although their desire to solve problems doesn't seem to affect their desire to prevent them. honestly, a metre of cable on any tool is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. a couple of quid's worth of cable, costs you fifty times the grief.

it's up to us to change it.

all the best,

jeff

If you do end up fitting a new lead then, you can buy one of these and cut it to length (keep the leftover length for future purchases ;-)). That's what I used on my bandsaw. A lot of people don't realise that Toolstation sells these 230v leads as they're "hidden" below an image of a yellow, 110v lead [which, strangely enough, will also work with 16amp 230v!] in their catalogue.

Just make sure you visually check the markings when fitting the new plug and/or socket so that you get the Live and Neutral wires in the correct place - I could be mistaken but, I seem to remember that these are wired "the opposite way" [left and right] to a normal 13amp plug... Well, that's what my dad was grumbling about, anyway! :)

mbartlett99":3gsyoto8 said:
connections being the most likely point of failure

Hadn't thought about that so I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

All I did was use an old very heavy duty caravan mains extension cable (from my touring van days), cut it down to 5 metres and re-made the connections.

It has a plug on one end and an in line "socket connector" on the other which fits the plug of the machine cable. They lock together so can't be knocked out and it works a treat.
I swap between 2 machines as I haven't got around to making a second. :oops:

Not sure I should now :?

Bob

Another way would be to mount a plastic adaptable box to the machine and feed the original cable minus the plug into it via a stuff in gland. Then get some 1.5mm2 or larger if you prefer flex and bring this also into the box via a gland and connect together with either crimps of connector blocks. Then put the old plug on the longer flex lead.

This will mean there is no trailing connection and the original 600mm of cable can be left as is and the bulk just stuffed in the box. Should be able to get the box, 2 glands and connectors for under a fiver.

Steve.

I did think the short cable was a bit odd when I got my A3 31, but just put a male MK 16A plug on it, and connect a trailing cable to the wall outlet. I've found it no hassle in practice. I sourced some armoured cable from my local electrical supplier - a stranded wire mesh around the sheathing, with a sturdy transparent casing over that. All still fits in the standard 16A plug / sockets. Supposedly strong enough to resist vehicles going over it. Certainly strong enough for my uses. I can post a pic if you wish.

Thanks guys, I guess it's a pays your money/takes your pick sort of deal. There's some 2.5mm2 cable on the way to me, then it's decision time. That extension lead looks like one hell of a deal price wise though - cable (and most other wiring supplies) are quite a lot more expensive over here in Ireland.

I'll decide how to proceed when I get a response from the local Felder distributor...

ian,

dont waste your time with the distributor. short cables are fitted at the factory.

this guy is the head of service, austria. he speaks very good english.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Sincères salutations

Sebastien Maucuer

Sebastien Maucuer Phone: +43/5223/5850-251
Service Fax: +43/5223/56130

KR-Felder-Straße 1
6060 Hall in Tirol, Austria E-Mail: [email protected]

do it ian, get yerself a result for the little guy. infact, personalise this letter:

dear mr maucer,

it is with huge dissapointment that i find myself having to write to you today. i have recently purchased from your company....................., to find upon delivery, all have cables on them too short to connect to my power correctly.

these purchases were made after an enormous amount of research. after reading many threads on forums about your comapny, the reason i chose you, was ultimately the way with which you deal with problems. i also discovered that the issue of short cables has been raised before. stupidly i assumed you would have resolved this problem.

i now have machines that i can't operate as delivered, in accordance with health and saftey directives.

i have them plugged into extension leads at present, while i await your engineer to fit cables of the proper length. i would do this myself and send you the invoice, but it will invalidate my warranty. i have taken photo's of the installation and will send them to the relative government department, unless i hear from you by close of busines on monday, with a suitable date for your engineer to simply remedy this problem.

kindest regards..........

good luck,

jeff

Back