Lucky skip find!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantom of the offcut

Established Member
Reaction score
Just when you think the only luck you seem to get is bad!
A visit to the local tip to offload this mornings garden waste and some other rubbish, i came across this beauty in the metal recycling bin
DSC_0113.jpg

Certainly in need of a sharpen and set and a good clean up but otherwise perfectly useable, It is a Henry Disston and Sons 12" Tenon saw.
It pains me to think what else may have been chucked out with it.

Good find, looks like a ratty version of my tenon saw. I'm with Ed, never find anything decent at our tip

Are you sure that's not an early production example of a Lie Nielsen with " progresively, random TPI variable pitch with reverse cut "

Alan

Woody Alan":1r400ez0 said:
Are you sure that's not an early production example of a Lie Nielsen with " progresively, random TPI variable pitch with reverse cut "

Alan

You may well be right Alan on closer inspection it has had some shocking filing i'm not sure i will be op to rectifying this! do you know a good saw doctor?

phantom of the offcut":izrx97d0 said:
You may well be right Alan on closer inspection it has had some shocking filing i'm not sure i will be op to rectifying this! do you know a good saw doctor?

Bad teeth can be fixed. Cut to the chase - is the blade straight?

BugBear

The blade is straight and the steel in good condition,handle has all the original finish (and some unoriginal paint drips) and is tight with no play. The teeth however need some attention and after spending last evening researching saw filing i'm in two minds as to tackling it myself, any ideas as to cost for re-shaping teeth?

Hi all

who ever the previouse owner was didnt desreve to own such a tool and to allow it to be in such a state , hope you get it clean up nicely then get in recut set and sharpened professionaly it will last you your life time plus many many more years to come . hc

So THAT'S where it got to! I'll need that back at the end of the day, ya know.

:wink:

Just joking (of course). Nice find!

phantom of the offcut":1dxlrljs said:
The blade is straight and the steel in good condition,handle has all the original finish (and some unoriginal paint drips) and is tight with no play. The teeth however need some attention and after spending last evening researching saw filing i'm in two minds as to tackling it myself, any ideas as to cost for re-shaping teeth?

Sadly, now the trouble starts. You need to find a RELIABLE saw sharpener, which is difficult. And if the service is not local, you're looking at postal fees to-and-from, in addtition to as the cost of the service.

Conversely, doing it yourself involves some equipment acquisition, followed by a steep-ish learning curve.

There is no easy-and-cheap road to traditional hand saws, I'm afraid.

I have some links and information on self-sharpening, which you may find helpful (or intimidating):

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/saw_sharpen.html

BugBear

Thanks for the link BugBear it was the site i looked at last night, and yes a little intimidating, so i think for this time i will have this and another saw i have, done proffesionally.

Next thing is to find a reliable sharpening service!!

Going slightly off topic, but still talking about finds in skips, I think if you head down to your local joinery shop around the fridays before a bank holiday or before the christmas break, you may find a skip outside with lovely offcuts and maybe even some useful tools, that were deemed unfit for purpose by someone who probably earns to much to care!

Back