Low maintenance finish for sideboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorongil

Reaction score
Hi guys I had registered on here before but my account was reset so I guess I'm introducing myself again, hello. :D

A family friend has asked me to make them a sideboard of european oak which is fine, but now I'm having trouble selecting a finish. They are looking for a clear finish with as little gloss as possible. Initially I showed them a sample with a Chestnut finishing oil on and they seemed to like the colour and finish. However, on reflection, this is a big sideboard with many nooks and crannies and I don't think they have the time to continue the maintenance required for an oil finish (once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and every year thereafter, as I believe it goes 8) ).

I was hoping to call on your collective knowledge to recommend a finish that is low maintenance, non-glossy/'plasticcy' and durable. It may need to withstand sunlight (through the windows).
I had looked at Osmo Polyx oil but I was wondering if it might need the same regular application as other oils.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Shaun

I've recently used Osmo-PolyX on a project and its fantastic stuff. Simply brush on a thin coat, leave overnight and brush on another thin coat, leave overnight again, then buff and that's it. I used the matt version which really is matt so I put a coat of wax over the top to bring it up to a satin finish, tho' satin is available straight out the tin. It's actually a flooring product and tough as old boots, available from here As you have to brush on a thin coat a little goes a long way...great stuff - Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob.

I've since ordered some sample pots of the matt and another unlabeled one which I presume to be satin.

How well do you think it would work with oak veneered mdf? Would it have a tendency to lift thin veneer from the board?

Also, I assume from reading your post, that once you've coated it once or twice it is up to you how often you renew the finish depending on scuff marks etc.,.? Oh, and can you get away with just those two applications?

Shaun

Saun - Osmo should be fine with oak veneered boards. When you lift the lid and have a pong you can tell it's based on paraffin wax, but there are lots of other organic oils and waxes in the mix. As regards re-coating I don't see that there should be any problem with it, provided that you haven't put anything else like wax (as I did) over the top, just give it a gentle scuff with some worn 320g paper to provide a key and away you go. When you try it I think you'll be really impressed with it.....John Lloyd had a go with it a while back in F&C and thought it was the dog's whiskers :D - Rob

Latest posts

Back