Losing a sense of proportion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob":1t0gzw58 said:
devonwoody":1t0gzw58 said:
Senator McCarthy springs to mind.
Really?
I don't think he tried to out racists.

Oh dear...oh dear, Jacob. What are we to do with you? I take you off Ignore for a moment and what do I find? You're off again on 'racism' even though it never appeared in the thread. I swear someone could post that they don't like coffee and you'd accuse them of being racist.

So what is racism?

Racism is when a forum member makes a post referring to Arabs as 'towelheads'. Now that is racism. Even though said member then, when taken to task for this racist post, frantically tried to erase all tracks and then blames the post on 'too much red wine'.

Sound familiar, Jacob? Well, it should do, for it was you.

RogerS":2wp2ka4x said:
Oh dear...oh dear, Jacob. What are we to do with you? I take you off Ignore for a moment and what do I find? You're off again on 'racism' even though it never appeared in the thread. I swear someone could post that they don't like coffee and you'd accuse them of being racist.

So a DJ falling on his sword for mistakenly playing the song "The sun has got his hat on", containing the "n-word", and Jeremy Clarkson trying to imply the "n-word", without actually saying it, have no relation to racism then?

nanscombe":k9k7agch said:
RogerS":k9k7agch said:

So a DJ falling on his sword for mistakenly playing the song "The sun has got his hat on", containing the "n-word", and Jeremy Clarkson trying to imply the "n-word", without actually saying it, have no relation to racism then?

Selectively and skilfully missing out the most important part of my last post, I see.

Re your own comment and no relation to racism? I would refer the Rt Honorable Member to (a) the title of the thread and (b) markturner's excellent post on the subject.

Far more to do with Political Correctness than racism. It was the BBC, after all. Did the DJ call anyone a *****r? no. Did Clarkson say "Oi! You! *****r! to someone? no. Everyone knows what n***** stands for - why does it make the slightest bit of difference whether it's said or printed in full or not? It's the context of its use that determines whether it's offensive or not.

RogerS":12m6lfbd said:
nanscombe":12m6lfbd said:
RogerS":12m6lfbd said:

Selectively and skilfully missing out the most important part of my last post, I see.

Re your own comment and no relation to racism? I would refer the Rt Honorable Member to (a) the title of the thread and (b) markturner's excellent post on the subject.

Oh no you don't :evil:

Racism may not appear in this thread but this thread was inspired by a couple of current stories linked to perceived racism and the use / non-use of the so called "n-word". :)

My response was simply a reaction to your post to Jacob. :oops:

From my point of view the DJ accidentally played the 1930s version complete with the "naughty" word and Jeremy Clarkson says that he didn't actually say the word anyway.

RogerS":27jsjrmi said:
Jacob":27jsjrmi said:
devonwoody":27jsjrmi said:
Senator McCarthy springs to mind.
Really?
I don't think he tried to out racists.

So what is racism?

Racism is when a forum member makes a post referring to Arabs as 'towelheads'. Now that is racism. Even though said member then, when taken to task for this racist post, frantically tried to erase all tracks and then blames the post on 'too much red wine'.

Sound familiar, Jacob? Well, it should do, for it was you.
Can you put a link in to this post? I think you are remembering it incorrectly. More wishful thinking Roger!

Well I can remember it too - I have a strong feeling the offensive words were removed by the Mods?

Harbo":2wzu57yf said:
Well I can remember it too - I have a strong feeling the offensive words were removed by the Mods?
Can you put a link in to this post? I think you are remembering it incorrectly. More wishful thinking!
It wasn't offensive either and wasn't edited as far as I recall.
What is more it wasn't even on this forum (I think). It's just become a little rumour circulated by the usual bigotted Bennies (or "stills") :lol: :lol:

There's stuff on pages 1 & 2 that gets spouted by one or two members every single year, really wish they would go out and look for some imagination. If anybody has any spare, PM them.

Doors closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back