Losing a sense of proportion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
May 12th - Following the latest 'storm in a teacup' aka - 'Mountain out of a molehill' the BBC announced that they would be beefing up their 20,000 strong new 'DPC- Department of Political Correctness' and would publish regular reports.

May 13th - Following the announcement regarding the DPC, the BBC received one complaint from the Hindu Association of Great Britain to the use of the word 'beefing up'. Cows are sacred to the Hindu religion and should not be referred to in this way. The BBC wishes to apologise unreservedly for any offence given.

May 18th - Following the live broadcast from the National Theatre of Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' where in several places the word 'chink' was used...

viz. in the Prologue

that vile Wall which did these lovers sunder;
And through Wall's chink, poor souls, they are content
To whisper.

......the BBC received two complaints from the Chinese Embassy that the use of the word 'c****' was derogatory to the Chinese. The BBC wishes to apologise unreservedly for any offence given and has given instructions for all copies of The Midsummer Nights Dream to be amended to use the word 'hole'.

May 19th - Following the apology of the 18th, the BBC wishes to apologise to the National Association for Keeping the Apostrophe for leaving out the apostrophe in The Midsummer Night's Dream. Detailed instructions have now been issued on the correct use of the apostrophe.

May 20th - Germaine Greer has written to the BBC to complain about the proposal to use the word 'h***' in place of 'c****' since this has derogatory sexual connotations to a part of the female genitalia. The BBC wishes to apologise unreservedly and will replace the word 'h***' with 'circular opening'.

May 21st - Following complaints from the Muslim Council of Great Britain, the BBC has withdrawn the remaining two parts of its multi-million ££ documentary into the life and art of Francis Bacon.

May 22nd - Following the start of the new TV programme "Do It Yourself with Barry", the BBC has received a complaint from the BOS - British Onanists' Society - stating that onanism was only meant to be practised alone and that having Barry present could have unwelcome connotations

May 23rd - The Vatican has complained to the BBC about the use of male and female parts when talking about screws - and it's not too happy about the word 's****' either now they come to mention it. The reference to removing pencil marks with the rubber is a definite no-no.

Guess it's time for me to slope off. Oh, sorry, can't say that.

Have you come across anyone who complains more than Roger? He's even complaining about an Axminster order history!!! Publicly as well. :D
We'll have to set up a UK Workshop department of complaints and moans.

Remember the Falklands - when the troops were told to stop calling islanders "Bennys" after the thick character in "Crossroads"?
From there on in the islanders were referred to as "used to be's"
There is no point whatsoever in banning words.

Well gents, I may well be completely wrong (that wouldn't be a 1st) but I think the OP by Roger was a very amusing and witty mickey take out of both the PC brigade and the BBC.

Whereas I believe that posters 2 & 3 seem to lack any sense of humour at all and take themselves far too seriously.

But that's just me, and as said, it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong!

;-)

AES

:D Witty? Very amusing? :D :roll:
Might be if I hadn't heard the same old boring rubbish a thousand times. It kind of made me cringe.

@MIGNAL:

A matter of opinion or taste I guess. Anyway I haven't noticed stuff in the same vein from that or other members.

Let's agree to differ eh?

AES

phil.p":214tmyo2 said:
Remember the Falklands - when the troops were told to stop calling islanders "Bennys" after the thick character in "Crossroads"?
From there on in the islanders were referred to as "used to be's"
There is no point whatsoever in banning words.
it was "stills" i.e. still Bennys. It wasn't about being PC either - it was about getting on with the neighbours. Funny though.

It's all straw men.
All Rogers examples are made up. He presumably wishes they were true as he likes getting angry about things - he leads a quiet life and it's the only excitement he gets.
Not good for you Roger you need to get out more!

RogerS":1m85vk4s said:
May 12th - Following the latest 'storm in a teacup' aka - 'Mountain out of a molehill' the BBC announced that they would be beefing up their 20,000 strong new 'DPC- Department of Political Correctness' and would publish regular reports.........
No they didn't. They realised it was a mistake and offered him his job back. Read it yourself.
They ought to dump Clarkson though, he is an obnoxious twwat.

MIGNAL":1mcpem9v said:
Might be if I hadn't heard the same old boring rubbish a thousand times. It kind of made me cringe.

Mignal...suggest you take a look at the title of the thread and then look in the mirror.

Re Axminster....by your reasoning then there should be no posts anywhere expressing any negative comment about any situation. You might be a casual user of Axminster but for others the order history can be very useful. The first time Axminster lost the order history was at the time of the previous revamp and they eventually restored it. They have promised to restore it this time. But that was many many many months ago.

If you don't like my posts then put me on Ignore. Very easy. As I did with Jacob a long time ago.

Jacob":1fmw703o said:
They ought to dump Clarkson though, he is an obnoxious twwat.

The problem with hurling insults around is that those not involved are inclined to to think that it takes one to know one.

As to Roger's original post, yes it was exaggerated for comic effect. I'm no expert on these things, but I gather the BBC broadcasts a lot of comedy programmes which do the same thing - I think it's called 'satire'.

The PC brigade have a sort of point in that it's not really good form to go around deliberately insulting people. However, the painful excesses they go to in highlighting the things they think are utterly heinous do border on the patronising towards those they seek not to offend. The storm over someone using the word 'golliwog' a couple of years ago was a good example - to me, and I suspect many others, golliwogs were just cheery characters who advertised a brand of jam; there was no racist connotation for me, and there never has been. Is Captain Birdseye racist because he's horribly Caucaisian?

Think we need a sense of proportion here. The deliberate use of words with the intention to offend is plain rude, and ultimately reflects more on the user of the words. The playing of a well-known ditty without knowing that it contained a word now considered offensive in many contexts (I didn't know either) is just an inadvertent mistake, not a sacking offence.

The anti PC brigade tend to be Bennies and often believe this sort of made-up stuff so it has to pointed out.
Ooops I should have said "stills" :lol:

RogerS":2ugt6luz said:
MIGNAL":2ugt6luz said:

Mignal...suggest you take a look at the title of the thread and then look in the mirror.

Re Axminster....by your reasoning then there should be no posts anywhere expressing any negative comment about any situation. You might be a casual user of Axminster but for others the order history can be very useful. The first time Axminster lost the order history was at the time of the previous revamp and they eventually restored it. They have promised to restore it this time. But that was many many many months ago.

If you don't like my posts then put me on Ignore. Very easy. As I did with Jacob a long time ago.

No!!! I don't want to do that. It would take away some of the fun.!
I just found it a little ironic that your original post referred to complaints. You must admit Roger that you do tend to complain fairly frequently.
Life's too short!!!

I thought replies 2 & 3 were also tongue in cheek too.
There's an awful lot of information missing in text based communications compared to face to face, or even phone. I'm sure most flame wars start because of misunderstandings

I just read followed the link, which I'd assumed was about Jeremy Clarkson. I had to check the date wasn't April 1st. Roger failed to mention the new department set up to rewrite history.

MIGNAL":14nnwg17 said:
Have you come across anyone who complains more than Roger? He's even complaining about an Axminster order history!!! Publicly as well. :D
We'll have to set up a UK Workshop department of complaints and moans.

If we complained more often when we should, we might have less need to complain at all. :mrgreen:

As for the order history, it might have been useful when I came to register one of my latest purchases. I had overlooked registration, and when I went to Axi, to check the date of purchase, I couldn't find my order history. Fortunately I had my CC statement to assist, which saved me going through the rigamarole of contacting Axminster. Know what I mean??? :lol:

I am sure the lefty Clarkson haters are hopping for joy, but really, what a completely and utterly perfect example of the kind of PC gone mad world we now live in - where the very mention of a word can garner this result. It's like the bit in life of brian where the guy is getting stoned for saying jehova.......

If he had been caught calling a black person a nig##r , or using it as derogatory term, then rightly so, he would deserve to be sacked. But simply even hardly audibly mumbling part of a nursery ryhme in a 5 year old out take???? Get real.....

For me, this completely devalues the whole credence and authority of any of the people who purport to make society better by trying to legislate away human nature in this fashion. It's everything that is wrong with our attitude to race in a nutshell and a chilling pointer to the final destination this road leads to. What next.... being denounced to the liberal thought police for disagreeing with jacob?

Too lazy to read the link chaps! It's a non story - they gave him his job back and admitted it was a mistake.
Does't stop you huffing and puffing though. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back