Long distance footpaths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone else here do long distance walking? I am off in October to do the 3rd leg of the South west coast path St Mawes (Falmouth) to Exemouth. 4th leg May next year. Other walks Pennine way , alternative coast to coast, Cumbria way. It would seem I am just playing at it compared to my colleague though he has done loads of foreign ones pilgrim routes. I see SlimJim bagging monroes just made me think. I have only 3 under my belt Schiehallion, Ben More, Stob Binnein more by luck as I happened to be working around Perth looking for something to do at the weekend.
Cheers Alan

Me and SWIMBO did a bit of this a while back and still enjoy a good hike. The last one we did was across the Blue Mountains (Pembrokeshire) in Wales and we also did the Perambulation (half way round anyway) of Exmoor a couple of years ago - Rob

SWMBO and I did the Dales Way back in June. Ilkley to Bowness on Windermere - about 85 miles over 6 days. Absolutely glorious walking - even if it did rain a bit - and if I tell you we did it during the week that there were all those floods around Sheffield you will understand what I mean by "rain a bit"!

Other high profile routes we've done include the Milford Track in S.Island NZ - about 40 miles - and the Tongariro Crossing on N.Island NZ. Also love the Italian Dolomites and we're off to do some trekking in Nepal in October. Just love it!

you could take up golf -----------------but thats a good walk spoiled :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodbutcher,

i know hat coat and all that!

I walked to the pub once , had to get a cab home mind . :lol:

I have cycled the coast to coast. As for walking and climbing, I like to make my own routes. The best one I have done was an 8 day expedition in the Cairngorms. We based ourselves around the Lairig Ghru and knocked off all the big munros. Have also done the same in the Cullin in Skye.

Hi Alan

I've got 20 Munroes to my name (only 246 to go........)

Last year, a mate and I did the Welsh 14: all 14 Welsh peaks over 3000 feet.
The idea is to do all 14 within 24 hours: it's 31 miles plus 14000 feet of climbing.........

We did it in 15 hours: I was chuffed with this (and completely knackered) until I found out that the record is 4½ hours! Whoever did that should get out more (or rather stay in more and have a few curries!)

Good luck with the walk and have fun !

Paul

Sorry to break this to you Paul but you've got 264 munros to go, 284 in total.

Edit: I've just realised that you probably got the 6 and 4 the wrong way round, sorry. :oops:

Exmoor a couple of years ago
Rob we absolutey loved exmoor ..me and the missus that is... we used to sit and watch the sunset at dunkery beacon in september before going to the pub. One of the underrated bits of the UK
Roger the dales way was recommended to me by a guy on the cumbria way as a nice break in for me and the missus together in youth hostels, life has dealt us an awkward hand so haven't made that one yet but it's on the list.
Slimjim would love to get on skye sometime
JFC if you leave the high heels at home you may be able to stagger back, lightweight :)
Saintsman I know what you mean, I was sitting in a pub, proably having the lamb shank or steak and ale pie and noticed on the wall a board with alll the times people had completed the peninne way in, bearing in mind it's a 3 week walk, and some nutters had run it in about 3 days bound to be on the net somewhere, and this is before the royal engineers paved it with flags from the mills.
Alan who does about 13-14 miles a day rain or shine, shower, pub, hot meal,3-4 pints, collapse in bed, do it all again, is it heaven? no...but not reality, escapism. I love it just have trouble readjusting to reality when I get back.

Alan

Woody Alan":2htzr6n3 said:
Alan who does about 13-14 miles a day rain or shine, shower, pub, hot meal,3-4 pints, collapse in bed, do it all again, is it heaven? no...but not reality, escapism. I love it just have trouble readjusting to reality when I get back.

Alan

Alan - you've got it all wrong. That IS reality. It's the rest of life that is at fault! :)

Can thoroughly recommend the Dales Way. It's a great way to spend a week.

Did the Coast to Coast a few years ago and really enjoyed that.

Oh and also done 240 Munro's and had some fantastic days. A cloud inverstion when we did the Crianlarich hills meant we slogged uphill for hours before popping through the clouds and seeing dozens of snowcapped peaks floating on cotton wool clouds, magic.

No matter where you go, please remember that no walk can be regarded as a success unless it is adjudicated as such by an independent arbiter. Several such arbiters can be found here, the best generally being those with four legs and a bark.

Any walk in the countryside without a dog is a missed opportunity.
g018.gif

Gill

Gill":1pmry869 said:
No matter where you go, please remember that no walk can be regarded as a success unless it is adjudicated as such by an independent arbiter. Several such arbiters can be found here, the best generally being those with four legs and a bark.

g018.gif

Gill

Yep, my dog takes me for a walk everyday.

Alan, give me a telephone call when you get to Paignton,(you have to leave the coastal footpath here anyway to go through town) and I will pick you up and drop you off at the start of the cliff path again at Torquay. If the weather is good you can even overnight at our place! (we have a guest room, conservatory. Family visiting half term(october time sometime))

Gill":3kd6o6gd said:

g018.gif

Gill

And taking the dog always gives you the opportunity to stop and admire the view whilst the dog has a rest :wink:

DW that's very kind of you to offer, but we have already booked all our accommodation for a few weeks now. I only b&b, travel light no tents etc. Requires quite a bit of tactical planning to put together as there are three of us this time. This stretch not unsurprisingly has turned out to be some of the most expensive B&B's of any of our previous walks. If it's tipping down and blowing a gale I'll give you a call and you can give us a lift to Teignmouth if you like. The nearest pub will do.:)
When we come round Hartland point last year we hit a force 9 on the cliff which meant we couldn't actually stand up because of the wind. Had to reroute inland.

Alan

Latest posts

Back