Little decking advise required please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Got a small decking project on the go in the garden (where else :) ), most of the frames done and the deck boards have turned up ready for the weekend - but before I finish the woodwork off I need to put down the weed control fabric.

Question is do I need to be putting a layer of gravel down on top of the fabric to help stop the weeds coming through? The ground will have several doses of weed killer first and is pretty free from green stuff, am I damning myself to unscrewing all the boards months later if I dont??

Cheers for any help!

Just needs weighting down a bit a few shovels of gravel or a few old bricks dottet here and there should do the trick.

agree - the gravel (or sand) is basically there to make sure that the membrane stays put and is pushed (and held) into the corners.

Another trick if no sand or gravel to hand is to use stiff wire (or old wire coathangers) cut to about 12" lengths bent in to U shape to make a sort of 6" staple and pushed in.
The wire will rust over the years but by then the fabric has stuck to the ground and never moves.

Bob

My tip here is to be sure that Decking isn't going out of fashion anytime soon! Or, make sure SWIMBO really wants the stuff for a long time. :mrgreen:

(I like the nice green, grass-decking I have seen at my sawmill. Might even put a small deck outside my patio doors!)

Best of luck.
John :D

Well folks thanks for the input! =D>

its handy the gravel isnt strictly required as I probably wouldnt of got any delivered in time for saturday, I had a mooch round work today and found a few kilos of 4" nails and some penny washers that fit on them. I'll use them knocked into the ground to hold down the fabric (plus a bit of rubble here and there).

The deck will be there for as long as we are I reckon (I hope!), its being done mainly for our nipper (1 year old next week) to play on - if she changes her mind I'll lend her a hammer :)

Back