link belt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpw123

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

as anyone any experience of using a link belt ? I am probably pushing my hobbies treadle machine a little
bit too hard cutting 3/4 inch softwood but i've broken the belt yet again. Thought i might give one a go, £12 approx on ebay.
Any thoughts ?

Thanks, john

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-16 at 20.10.04.png
    Screen shot 2015-02-16 at 20.10.04.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 949
Hi, I have a hobbies treadle fretsaw, used it a lot 40 years ago. mine uses a Singer sowing machine belt with a wire link. have not used it in years.
I am also a woodturner, put a link belt on one of my lathes, they are good because you dont have to take the spindle out of the bearing to change the belt. You can also adjust the belt length easily.
I now use a Ex 30 for my cutting, I would be amazed if the best in the world could produce comparable work on a hobbies treadle machine, would take a lot longer also.
Only my opinion but I would get powered up.
Roy Ames

I don't want to put you off because anything is worth trying if you are stuck, but I'm not sure a link belt would work because of the shape of the pulleys, which are intended for a round belt.

I might have a spare round leather belt you can have, but don't hold your breath, I could find it today but just as easily I might not find it for 6 months.

martinka":ovfc5m68 said:
I don't want to put you off because anything is worth trying if you are stuck, but I'm not sure a link belt would work because of the shape of the pulleys, which are intended for a round belt.

I might have a spare round leather belt you can have, but don't hold your breath, I could find it today but just as easily I might not find it for 6 months.
Thanks martin, i can easily buy another leather belt i was just wondering if their was another option, but i appreciate your offer. I have since seen a plastic/rubber compound belt which may be a more durable choice.

Thanks again,

John

jpw123":1drh7hgd said:
martinka":1drh7hgd said:

Thanks martin, i can easily buy another leather belt i was just wondering if their was another option, but i appreciate your offer. I have since seen a plastic/rubber compound belt which may be a more durable choice.

Thanks again,

John

If the plastic belt is same as the one I am thinking of, you join the ends using a hot knife. I've not used one myself, but I have seen them used in model engineering and I think you are correct in that they will be much more durable than the leather one.

Obviously you can find them yourself, but this might save you looking :) http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engi ... lt_46.html

Latest posts

Back