Limp Mode

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Would be good to hear from anyone with little knowledge of this new damn clever idea of limp mode. :evil:

Have an 04 tdci 115 mondeo with 88k on the clock.

Now i have code P132A as a fault. Faulty turbo or actuator.
Not great as i have an electronic actuator so the whole damn turbo has to be replaced.
Can't get it done straight away as i need a car and earliest i can get a courtesy car is 17th :shock:
So as i know what the problem is and while it has no guts but still drives would it be ok to use in limp mode for a short while??

Thanks for your help

Martin

Yeh have seen them thanks Roger

But can't seem to find out how long its safe to run in limp mode.
Thats my problem as ford just tell me not a good idea, but from what i can make out its not the turbo thats at fault but the actuator so can't see how i can damage the engine. And if i do damage the turbo anyway it has to be replaced so no harm no foul i am hoping.

Thanks for the quick reply

Martin

Have ford told you how much a new turbo unit will be?
I had a focus tdci 1.8 on a 02 plate that had a turbo on its way out. The workshop manager at ford reckoned it would be almost a 4 figure sum to have it replaced with a new unit. I ended up changing the car instead.

Dex

You as well dexter

Might be able to do it for about £800
The problem is it only went into limp mode twice in a week, the second time local ford dealer cleared all the codes etc and told me to see what happens as everything sounds fine.
It lasted until the revs hit 2500 under load then straight back into limp mode, i was thinking of doing the same as you trade it in and take a little loss on it for another car. But as the f.......g car won't come out of limp then can't see it being worth a lot like it is.

To be honest i am also thinking over my options if it is worth spending nearly a grand on it etc thats why i was looking to find out if it will just cut out etc after so many starts or miles like this. Plus still have to get around as i live in the middle of no where :(

If anyone else is having the same problem a turbo thechnics turbo is exactly the same as fords (Garret genuine turbo) just about £400 less direct from them.

Martin

Hi mate
Did they check the silicon hoses? if one is split this will bring up this fault. And you would see this when turbo kicked in. Reason being your turbo probably kicked in at 2500 revs.

Hi Andy

Don't think they checked the hoses etc as it was just hooked up to the comp and code read.
I a coming closer to having a look myself but every time i look under the bonnet it looks way to complicated. Used to enjoy messing around with my Capris etc even the 2.8s where fun had the head off etc but these new ones look like you need a degree from NASA to even change the oil.

But what you said about split pipe i have read on other sites as well as the EGR valve needs cleaning along with the inlet manifold. Might get brave and have a look tomorrow if the weather is not to bad.
The main problem i have is the turbo is electronic not vacuum so unless it is a leaky hose then don't have much choice but to replace the whole thing

Thanks for you help

Martin

id say chances are you have a leaking hose from the intercooler to the turbo. Cleaning EGR is straight forward just bolts nothing fiddly and you can only put it back one way. I wiould definetly explore these before you change the turbo
Cheers Andy

By far the most common cause is a split air hose. Does it produce a lot of (black) smoke when you accelerate?.

Also, driving it around in limp home mode will not damage the engine, it's just a PITA, and designed to get you to take it to the dealer.

IF the garage suggest that a new turbo is needed then it would be worthwhile investigating other possible causes (any leak in the high-pressure air intake) or even getting a 2nd hand one from a breakers.

Not entirely related - for those of you with VAG (Volkswagon Audi Group) cars, I have the dongle and software for all dealer related diagnostics and resets.

If you require access and not a million miles from Leeds\Bardford or my In-laws in Brum or indeed on the run down - M6 or M1, I'd be more than happy to plug it in and do the necessaries.

Dibs

The turbo Focus ST has this problem and its to do with the MAF sensor. You can drive in limp mode just fine you just have no boost.

Latest posts

Back