Lime Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason I am lurking on this forum is to ask if a lime tree is any good for turning or only suitable for the fire,

My local council has cut one down outside my house and left the trunk which is cut into approx 3ft lenghths of about 10 inch diameter (4)
it started to split within hours of cutting,

Nigel

The short answer is Yes, Nigel... it's a bit bland but much prized by carvers

... from your description it's probably going to be hard to salvage any sizeable large pieces, that said there's a certain joy to turning wet timber if you can cope with the stresses that work themselves out in the finished piece :wink:

I don't have a link but you might have a look at Melvyn Firmagers' work...

Thanks Graham

I don't think I would be able to use it as I only have a small lathe like you demonstrate with but after watching you the restlessness is starting and this is a whole new slope,

I will rescue it from the landfill fate for now and if anyone wants it let me know

Nigel

One of the joys of mini stuff is creating the same aesthetic appeal in better larger pieces :wink:

As I'm fond of saying 'it doesn't matter if it all goes to hell, you were probably going to throw it on the woodpile in :lol:

I've done a couple of bits of lime, rough turned it wet, let it dry then finish turned. As its easy to carve you may want to have a go at some surface decoration like I did on this14" platter (I got some 22" dia trunk :D ).

Jason

Latest posts

Back