Lights Out Monday 4th August 2014 10:00 - 11:00 PM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
" We're encouraging everyone in the UK to turn off their lights between 10pm and 11pm on 4 August 2014 – leaving only a single light or candle for this symbolic act of reflection and hope "

For me, I will grab a candle, put it in my front living room window, light it, turn off the electric lights and open a beer and drink it in respect of all the people who sadly lost their lives in WW1

All very noble, I'm sure, but I think the fuss that's being made of the centenary of the beginning of the war should have been saved for the centenary of the end of it.

Edit - and when we're one of the world's biggest arms suppliers, isn't it a trifle hypocritical? Just a thought?

Deep respect for all those who fought in the "Great war" we've a lot to thank them all for. Dunno about the politics the world was a different place then, but those who fought deserve some respect and I give mine gratefully.
Chas

wizard":1hmmt16x said:
they were not sent over the top, they were giving the orders

The artillery shells and gas made no distinctions between rank, class or anything else. Neither did sniper's bullets.

Britain lost more senior officers pro rata then any other nation involved, a junior sub would be lucky to last six weeks. Forget the Lions led by Donkeys rubbish of the late 60's. For a better informed view of WW1 I would suggest the Great War Forum.

I think the real point is that a great many people, from many nations, of all sorts of races, creeds and backgrounds, and on both sides of the war, ended up killed and maimed.

It ended up being 'the war to end all wars', but it didn't.

We should remember. Try to understand why. Try to do better in future. That's all.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before...

If you haven't done so yet, take a week to visit the battlefields of WW1. Even if you aren't particularly interested in history and genealogy (since a lot of us lost ancestors as a result of the war) to stand in the vast, beautifully manicured cemeteries and absorb the enormity of the conflict is more powerful than any monument.

Certainly more evocative than the arch erected in Folkestone to commemorate the men who passed through on their way to war. Perhaps I'm just an artistic philistine who lacks the vision to appreciate the architect's symbolism, but compared to the Canadian monument at Vimy Ridge for example the arch is not a fitting tribute; if anything the it reminds me of the sort of thing councils use to adorn roundabouts with.

Mark A":vgy6oykx said:
I'm sure I've mentioned this before...

If you haven't done so yet, take a week to visit the battlefields of WW1. Even if you aren't particularly interested in history and genealogy (since a lot of us lost ancestors as a result of the war) to stand in the vast, beautifully manicured cemeteries and absorb the enormity of the conflict is more powerful than any monument.

Did this on a school trip when I was 11. Now 53 and the image still lives with me.

As to it being the 'the war to end all wars' the last fortnight's news shows how wrong that was. Maybe one day we'll learn :?:

In answer to Toesy, yes my wife and I lit a candle on 4th at 10.00pm. Both of us have grandparents why were lucky enough to survive WW1 though her grandfather was injured on at least one occasion. We are also going to see his diaries etc at the new museum of the Oxon & Bucks regiments at Woodstock.

On other points, I agree with Cheshirechappie that a higher proportion of offices died, other ranks. Most, but by no means all, were junior officers, but you also need to consider the navy and air cops in both of which there were significant numbers of deaths of ALL ranks. I do believe that ‘Oh what a lovely war’ was a complete travesty of ALL involved, though it is clear that some British and French troops were badly lead at times. One of the issues was I think down to the fact that once an advance was started, there was no easy means of communications so either troops were not reinforced or they went further than was anticipated and were then easy prey to a counter attack.

Finally, if you haven’t been to Verdun and the area surrounding, you really should. The museum on the hills overlooking is amazing with photos of villages that no longer exist. In addition, the Douaumont cemetery chapel and ossuary is quite spectacular looking out over thousands of graves of French and German soldiers, including a number from French territories.

Phil

Hi Phil

No, we didn't have enough time to travel down to Verdun the last time we were there in 2012, though we're planning to at some point. Maybe next year as I'm sure there will be something going on to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo while we are over that way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Has anybody been watching the Michael Portillo series on the railways of WW1,
I never realised how significant they were for both sides - for the Germans initial rapid advance and the Allies ability to rush troops up to meet them and stop the attack.
The Germans had been planning this for years and built enormously large stations and numerous long platforms to move masses of troops quickly into Belgium.
Thankfully France had built a vast railway system around Paris.

Well worth a watch.

Rod

Back