Lighting circuit question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question on lighting circuits - domestic not workshop.

Is it still usual to use a junction box circuit rather than a loop in ceiling rose circuit? I have just decorated the kitchen and need to fit new lights. The halogen ones SWMBO has chosen do not fit a ceiling rose (the old ones did) so I need to get into the loft and change the circuit. Is using JB's still acceptable practice?

I am well aware of part P etc so no need for warnings, just cannot see any way other than using JBs in this partciular instance!

Cheers,

Steve.

Junction boxes are still acceptable but they must be installed where they remain easily accessible. Under floorboards and hidden in cavity walls etc. are not acceptable places.

I assume you are talking about halogen downlights? The standard method of wiring these is to loop in at the switches. Take the load in and feed out and link the neutrals in a piece of terminal strip.

Since you have already decorated I'm going to guess that you don't want to use this method though so if you find the very small junction boxes that will fit through the hole for the downlighter then they can be used within the ceiling void. Another option is to use a choc-box and some terminal strip and wire it the same as a ceiling rose - again these are small enough to be accessible when the DL is removed so is perfectly fine.

Thanks Davy. Access is not a problem since the kitchen is out the back in an extension with a loft above. There is bu**er all room in the lights SWMBO has chosen, I can just get a feed cable in to the unit from the loft, hence the requirement for a JB.

Regards,

Steve.

Roger Sinden":1hc5u8u2 said:
Is crimping still allowable if there is no access?
I think that crimping may be the preferred method according to a spark I know. If he is correct you can put as many crimp joints in as you need. Think that davy_owen will know if this is correct

Yes, crimping is classed as a permanent joint and as such does not need to be accessible but I would only ever class a crimped joint as permanent if it was made using a good quality, calibrated ratchet crimper and not a cheap 'pliers' type used in car electrics.

Crimps are insulated but they need to be either covered in a layer of heatshrink sleeving or placed within a choc-bloc unless the joint is made within a suitable fitting (switch, socket etc.)

Back