Lightening 1940's oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UserError

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a sideboard that we started to strip a number of years (6?) ago. Those stripped parts have already darkened considerably . I was hoping that we may be able to bleach the oak to make the whole thing lighter as it would be too dark for our house. I'm not sure what is achievable with bleach, or whether we're just going to have to let it go. I recall it is a "Utility" item, so has no value particularly (other than sentimental value - was my Gran's)

I've seen a woodweb article about stripping & bleaching oak which is encouraging, but is probably American oak. Does our oak react comparably?

Also, if you bleach oak, does it still darken (much)?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to give.
Cheers

if you want to bleach stains and discolouration from stripped oak you need oxalic acid - easy to use. If you need to appreciably lighten the stripped oak you need Hyrdrogen peroxide used either with ammonia or Sodium Hydroxide - not a DIY product and I wouldnt even begin to describe whats involved in working with this product to someone who is DIYing

Sodium Hydroxide has a lovely soft soapy texture, really nice ... because it is dissolving your skin. Imagine what happens if you get it in your eyes? It's very nasty stuff. Probably used by at least one serial killer to dispose of the evidence. Oxalic acid is readily available on ebay for not much money.

Back