Lee Valley Wenzloff saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of the range of Wenzloff saws that Lee Valley do? I have read loads of good things about Mikes saws, but the waiting list puts me, off hence the question, as they appear to be in stock at Lee Valley.

Are they as good, but just without the option to personalise?

I am in the market for a couple of panel saws and a large-ish tenon saw.

Thanks, Ed.

NB;

1. I know of no English saws in the same league
2. I can't be bothered with sifting through vintage saws to find a good one.
3. I don't like car boot sales
4. Er
5. That's it

Don't have any experience of the LV saws Ed, but depending on your budget you could contact Pedder. I got a pair of saws last year and they are beautifully made, and fit the hand really well (as they should do, being made to fit).

Here is a link to the post I did at the time.

Cheers

Karl

Alf bought a couple that I think were from the range stocked by Lee Valley. See her blog entry here http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/200 ... blime.html You could pm Alf her for her views.

All Wenzloff saws are made by Mike and his two sons so the LV ones should be just as good as the custom ones. I have three of Mike's saws - two custom-made ones and one from his Harvey Peace range. The performance of all three are equally good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I am sorry to report that Mike is in the dog house. More than three years ago I took a very large piece of English Boxwood approx 48" x3"x4" over to the States for him, In return I was to get two saws with handles from the Boxwood,and he would use the rest, despite his assurance that I would be bringing the saws home with me I am still waiting !! He ignores my email and phone calls, very disappointing to say the least.

I think Mr W, in common with many small operations, is too kind to say "no" to any request, and thus sometimes takes on commitments beyond his ability to deliver.

I do not believe he's in any way crooked, corrupt, fraudulent or any other bad thing. Just over committed.

BugBear

I have to concur with BB's statement - I think around 2007 Mike had some sort of "Crisis" and his order book went seriously wrong?
And I think many people were concerned when they committed themselves to a Veritas range as well?

I had already bought a couple of saws, which I picked up in NYC in 2005? and in early 2007 ordered another one to be collected in November 2007.
I never received it - Mike used to be a Forum member and my last message to him is still sitting in my Outbox.
I didn't pursue it as I heard he was having problems and as I had not sent any monies I bought a couple of Grammercy kits instead from TFWW in Brooklyn.

gwsaws2.jpg

Wenzloffs in ABW, Grammercys in English Walnut - later rounded over a bit more.

WSH sells Atkinson Walker kits - which I have not seen in the flesh.
Pax saw saws are supposed to be good but the handles need a bit of work?
And there are Pedder's whose saws look superb

Rod

Rod

well his saws may be nice but the facts are clear festoolfishy gave him a very rare large piece of timber 3 years ago. he has yet to receive the saws he promised or the timber back.

adidat

Mike's in a difficult position. His saws are in great demand and as they are hand made and there is only Mike and his two sons making them, it's inevitable that he will have a permanent backlog of orders. My first two took over a year but I feel they were worth the wait

Wensloffs-1.jpg

He eventually built up a backlog of 4,000 saws and announced on his website that he would not be accepting further orders until he had dealt with the backlog. When he resumed taking orders I ordered one of his current range of Harvey Peace saws and received it within about a month.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have found him a great bloke to deal with. He takes a lot of trouble to make saws exactly how you want them and they perform really well. However, they are hand made and in great demand so, unfortunately, if you want one you might have to wait a while.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

They are simple tools and the metal bits are much the same with the quality of the sharpening being the most important factor.
So it's down to the handles. Buy a good saw (plenty of them about) and make your own handle?
Not difficult, doesn't cost much or take long. Nice woodwork exercise.
Polish up the metal bits as much as you like, and sharpen as best you can.
That's what I'd do anyway.
Then if it was any good perhaps start thinking about helping out with Mike Wensloff's 4000 waiting list?

Jacob said:
They are simple tools and the metal bits are much the same with the quality of the sharpening being the most important factor.
So it's down to the handles. Buy a good saw (plenty of them about) and make your own handle?
Not difficult, doesn't cost much or take long. Nice woodwork exercise.
quote]

Certainly can't be difficult to make a more attractive handle than this

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... n/FOO25612

Paul Chapman":20z2mt4t said:
Alf bought a couple that I think were from the range stocked by Lee Valley. See her blog entry here http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/200 ... blime.html
I do indeed have the good fortune of such ownership - and one custom-made for me by Mike - and they're all equally lovely saws (okay, the custom one is slightly lovelier 'cos it was made to fit my hand, curly bubinga etc, but the essentials are equally lovely) Just the other day I was wondering if I could possibly justify another one of the LV range, but regretfully decided probably not. On the other hand, the advantage of being female is that I'm well within my rights, not to say expected, to change my mind... ;)

Mike's a damn nice bloke, but he's not the first small maker to get over-whelmed, plus various personal issues have clobbered him over the years. Basically what BB sed.

Apart from a Panel saw I see MrEd is after a largish Tenon saw?

I always thought that Tenons used to be 14" to 16" though I see nowadays many are offered at 12"?
I have a 14" brass backed Disston Tenon which I find a bit heavy and slightly unwieldy - perhaps I am getting weak in my old age, but I seem to prefer my 12" ones?

Rod

Latest posts

Back