Leaving present bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine ordered a bowl for a leaving present for a colleague.
They both work in the environment field and do a lot of tree work so a bowl hand turned would be very fitting.

I had a couple of pieces of special Elm in the workshop ..... this is the result.
Took ages to turn because of the burring, and I was constantly sharpening my tools... Most challenging piece to date.
Didn't help that I only had 400 and 600 grit sandin paper so had to get a good finish from the tool!

Its also the orangest elm I've ever seen

Attachments

• 20130925_173630.jpg
    20130925_173630.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 20130925_173527.jpg
    20130925_173527.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 20130925_173704.jpg
    20130925_173704.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,347
Having only 400 and 600 grit paper I got to admire your patience, you must have had a pretty good finish off the tool, I have some 600 grit, it barely removes a vapour!

You're right, the wood is an odd colour for Elm.

Lovely piece of wood, I wonder if it is one of the hybrid Elms like Exeter Elm, I've had that with shades from cream through to chocolate.
Appreciate the satisfaction at completing such a challenge, not one I'd willingly subject my tooling ability to without some abrasive help.

Lovely piece, the rich colour and all the burr makes it really stand out.

I may be a newbie at this lark myself, but I'm guessing that managing through all those small knots without resorting to filler to fix chunks of tear-out would be quite an accomplishment!

Lovely finish, even if you had all the materials you could have wanted, so well done :)

Is that a wax finish on it? Lovely silky sheen.

Nic.

It's finished with 1 coat sanding sealer and 1coat friction polish with a little clear briwax

Thankyou for the lovely comments guys

Great looking bowl and lovely finish. I've tried wax over burred wood before but when it dried had lots of pale flecks in the burr. How do you avoid this?

FifeMike":2sqj6qhh said:
Great looking bowl and lovely finish. I've tried wax over burred wood before but when it dried had lots of pale flecks in the burr. How do you avoid this?

I don't know what Melinda uses but I use a hard wax on a mop rather than a paste wax, if using a soft paste wax try using a bristle brush that gets into the cavities to help prevent build-up, I had some success that way before I started using hard wax.

Thanks - it was paste wax I used. I've just bought my first tin of microcrystalline wax so some experimentation coming up. My better half has taken a shine (!) to darker wood so I best get it right. About to try some wenge and amazakoue blanks bought years ago.

FifeMike":31fk6lke said:
Thanks - it was paste wax I used. I've just bought my first tin of microcrystalline wax so some experimentation coming up. My better half has taken a shine (!) to darker wood so I best get it right. About to try some wenge and amazakoue blanks bought years ago.

I used the bristle brush idea!
I have recently turned wenge..... not a fan... very open grain..looks good when finished

Latest posts

Back