Lean-to Roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be starting on my lean-to roof soon and would like any comments on the way I will tackle it.
First job will be to take off the old roof as it leeks badly.
I am going to fix new rafters running from the house wall down to the garden.
The lean-to is 3 meters wide and 3.5 meters long.
On the rafters I am putting tongue and groove planks running across from the house wall and then work my way down to the garden.
I am doing it this way as Wickes sell T & G at only 3 meter lengths. (joints will run cross ways).
Will run wood glue in T & G joints and screw down on to rafters.
On top of wood I will put felt, (2 rolls) will cover I hope.
I could run the planks down ways with joins but will need lots of but joining that way.
Any comments or tips please.

why tongue and groove? Do you want the ceiling to look "pretty" from inside the building looking up? It's just that a decent sheet goods (like OSB) will overcome many of the problems related to wood movement and risk of water penetration with t&g. Also faster/easier to fit and a lot cheaper. OSB is a wood chip and resin based sheet good that comes in 8x4 sheets and is the ideal material for such a job but it looks hideous hence my question about decorative finish. If you do use t&g you should avoid gluing the joints as they'll just split when the moisture content changes seasonally, again increasing your risk of water ingress.

By a lean to roof, do you mean a flat roof with a slight fall?

I would make it a warm roof by fitting celetex on the rafters (or in between and on top if space is limited), then OSB3 board or sheathing ply.

I dont think I would use T and G for a roof deck.

I was thinking T & G as it would look good from inside, if I do not use wood glue but use a sealant just to help to make it more water resistant ?
As for OSB3, I would struggle with the size as I'm over 70, but think I can manage the T & G boards with a little help from my wife.

caretaker":3i0955x0 said:
I was thinking T & G as it would look good from inside, if I do not use wood glue but use a sealant just to help to make it more water resistant ?
As for OSB3, I would struggle with the size as I'm over 70, but think I can manage the T & G boards with a little help from my wife.

Could you not get an able friend/relative to give you a hand for a couple of hours?
As I agree with what others are saying on using OSB or Plywood for the deck.
It will be much quicker to fix in place also than t&g boards.

The movement in T&G for a roof will be huge. I had a vaulted ceiling in a conservatory/sun lounge and 18 months later it was covered with mdf and painted. It did look lovely........ for all of a fortnight.

I finely have finished my lean to roof, I used 3 sheets of OBS, wood glue, screws, felt and sealer, new rafters lots of white paint for the inside.
Now I have carpeted the in side new breakfast bar, new seating.
The good news is it don't leak any more.
Ok I admit my brother in law helped, no I helped him as I can not get up a ladder to good now.
Thanks Eddie.

Back