Lawnmowers ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggflan

Established Member
Reaction score
What you got ?

Spring is coming and i do a lot of garden landscaping and decking aswell as general garden maintainence , i needed a new mower as my old izy honda was not as it used to once be and i think another year would have finished her off :cry:

Set about looking for a new honda izy and i saw this with no bids ,after speaking to the seller i got this little chap for £200 , mint condition and fully serviced ready for the season ..

DSC00577.jpg

This is most of them :oops: I haven't got a problem, hionest

DSCN4807.jpg

I also have a 21" Honda. What I really need is a tractor.

Andy

dedee":3kmf4tmc said:
This is most of them :oops: I haven't got a problem, hionest

DSCN4807.jpg

I also have a 21" Honda. What I really need is a tractor.

Andy

Hmm. 3 Ajax's, a Certes, and a baby Webb.

I don't know what's sadder - you owning them, or me recognising them!

BugBear

I have a 19" cut rotary petrol manual push, is has a cast deck and a Honda engine, brand name on it is "Countax". I have had it over 20 years and its still going strong. One of the best things I have ever bought.

I have a Honda ride-on mower which is well over 20 years old and which is still going strong with a minimum of maintenance and spare parts still available.

The local engineer says that for the past ten years Honda have outsourced mowers supplying only the engine and the name. He says older Honda machines are the best engineered of all mowers and he maintains over 4000 machines of various makes in the area.
Richard

bugbear":1b0hsohs said:
[
Hmm. 3 Ajax's, a Certes, and a baby Webb.

I don't know what's sadder - you owning them, or me recognising them!

BugBear

Top marks BB, but I know you have more than one yourself. Last time I posted that pic you commented on the state of the lawn. Well I've not been able to use any of the Ransome's since we moved to France. 1600m2 of rough, , mole hill strewn pasture is not conducive to the use of such fine engineering.
But once I've turned this into a proper bowling green they will come into their own.
DSCN5255-1.jpg

I've still yet to find a 12"Certes, if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

Cheers

Andy

My Honda is so old but still going strong, but a bit smokey on start up.

Eggflan,

This also my line of work, at the moment I have a 21" Lawnking NP534 6HP engine leaves a lovely finish cuts down to about 25mm. I also have a 16" petrol Lawnking this is a push not self propelled, this has served me well over the last few years but I'll be changing this sometime during this season, at the moment I'm looking towards buying a Hayter of some description.

These are my main machines but I also own a 20" Atco B20 and a 20" Atco that has been turned into a permanent scarifier.

A lot of contractors around this way swear by the hayter 56 but obviously it comes at a price :!:

Steve :)

I have an 18" Mountfield with a Briggs & Stratton engine.
25 years on and still going strong, everything original - I change the oil every now and then and clean the air filter!

Rod

Yes his lawn need a bit of airation and scarifying. They look like Webbs push mowers will give you a bowling green standard lawn. If you set your push mower right they will give a much superior cut than the rotory petrol type and you can cut a surprising large area and will keep you fit. . Also I would like to see much more lawn dug up and planted with trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, made into veg plots and just left to grow wild.
Lawns are not very eco friendly in terms of encouraging wildlife and bio diversity and have quite a large carbon footprint for all the fuel and driving around required to maintain them.

The modern Hayter 56 isn't a bad bit of kit (not as good as the older version was though) but it isn't something I'd choose as a contractor. There are too many plastic bits on it which tend to get damage lifting/moving in and out of vans/trailers. Also it doesn't tend to pick up wet grass very well.
The Honda's aren't bad bits of kit - we had a hrc model but I wasn't impressed with the gearbox to drive the rear roller (2 faults on it in as many years).
If you don't need a rear roller then I'd go for one of the Etesia pro range - unfortunately they don't do machines with rear rollers.

We replaced our Honda with a Hayter heavy duty - it's a nice machine, could do with being able to take it lower than 30mm though.

Got a fairly modern Hayter 56, which is great, but also still have one of the old pale green Harriers last made in about 1975. Not original, but bought as a motorless deck for £5, fitted with a Briggs engine and a grass box from the "civic amenity site" in Newport Pagnell, and still going strong after another 20 years. Makes the modern ones look a bit plastic.....

I was keeping an eye out for a Haytor myself , if new this lawnflite shanks would have been way out of my price range at nearly £1000 .

I got lucky last spring with a lawnflight strimmer for £70 , it is an older model P705 and still runs like new with its kawasaki engine :wink:

I think late winter/spring are the best times to get a bargain when it comes to gardening tools, during the summer months prices are way too high ..

Anybody got any comments regarding Toro mowers, I'm basically after a small 16" or there about because at some of my customers I can't get access with my 21" machine.

I was after a Hayter 41 but I've been to the local dealer this morning to pick up some service spares and he has a Toro 43cm recycler for sale ( second user ) with alloy deck in very good condition.

Any thoughts ?

Steve :)

Steve , one of my neighbours has a Toro mower its the one that leaves the clippings rather than collects , his lawn has improved a lot since he started using it and it apears very well made :wink: :wink:

Many thanks for that eggflan, this machine I've viewed this morning has the option of collecting or leaving the clippings behind so I'm now going to have to give this some serious thought.

Anybody started cutting up your way yet ? There's a few out round here already and I've had 1 or 2 customers on the phone, but I wont be starting till about the end of the month.

Regards

Steve

Latest posts

Back