Laurent Fignon RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
You may or may not have heard on the news, but one of France's greatest cyclists and two times Le Tour winner Laurent Fignon lost his battle with cancer, aged only 50.

Fignon was never my favourite when watching cycling in my tender years (I was a Lemond man), but he was a typical Frenchman who was talented, intelligent and at times bloody awkward; he made the sport interesting.

For a short history and obituary follow the link below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... ignon.html

That's very sad :cry:

I remember very well the Tour that he lost by 8 seconds. I think in his heart he knew he was going to lose but he was, nevertheless, devastated.

Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Used to enjoy the Tour so much more when Merckx, Fignon, Lemond, Hinault and Roche were riding it. It seems to be so much more clinical now with riders just doing enough to stay ahead of their competition. The best years had the overall winners winning numerous stages.

The 2008 winner Sastre didn't win one stage either did Contador this year.

On the other hand Merckx won 8 stages in 1970 and Hinault won 7 stages in 1979. Fignon himself won 5 stages in 1984.

Latest posts

Back