lathe upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delyn46

Reaction score
Hello Folks
New to the site. I have been turning now for about 5 years using a Perform ccl. The lathe is showing signs of wear and tear ( or abuse )so I would like to upgrade to a new one. Like many turners I am retired and have a limited budget. Can anyone recommend / suggest a replacement.
I have looked at Fox, Record, Axminster and Jet but feel more confused than ever. My other problem is that my lathe has to be transported up a flight of steps, through my home and up another 4 steps to my shed. My husband and I are getting a bit old for lugging 80kg of metal.

Welcome to the forum delyn46,
Your request is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but if you can give us an indication of your preferred turning style and a rough budget it would help with the pointers folks might be able to give.

Not an easy task for a newbie to the forum to get involved in (hosting and posting that is) but do you have any pictures of your work so far to give an indication of your needs.

Edit: One other point, what chuck/s do you use and will you be trying to reuse with your new purchase, (spindle thread sizes availability of adaptors etc.)

I try ( note " try ") to turn bowls and boxs but usually make a lot of chippings for my friends chicken house. My budget is £400 - £800.As well as limited budget I have very limited space (I understand that this is normal for all woodworkers!) but mine is really limited and I doubt I will be able to build a new shed to meet my prefered needs.
I use a Record R 4000 chuck. And yes I hope to be able to use my attachments.

Hello and welcome Delyn46 :D
Would any of
these be any good.
Recently just upgraded myself to an Hegner,which i would really recommend.
Where about are you.You might get some help installing your new toy,i mean lathe :lol:

Paul.J.

My Axminster came in a box in separate pieces. I had to open the box and take each part down some awkward cellar steps. It wasn't easy but I did manage it by myself. I'm no chicken at 68 so two of you should be able to manage a lathe of that size.(Nu-tool, Sip, jet etc).The delivery driver may have a set of wheels so for a tip he would probably help

delyn46, as you have been used to a variable speed lathe then I would assume you will want one with that facility, I know I would not willingly resort to a limited speed machine.

Unfortunately there is very little to be gained in going for the same stable of machine as your current one under differing brand naming as any improvements in specification are likely to be slight other than less wear and tear.

There are alternate mechanical variable speed models using similar technology but I think you need to visit suppliers show rooms and ideally see demonstrations of the various machines to get any real feel for their ability to satisfy you.
An rough indication of your location in your profile may well turn up help near by in this respect.

The Electronic variable speed machines the same size or bigger than your existing machine are all somewhat over your budget as new but if you look at the members lathes listing you will see these are what members have migrated to in the main.

A keen eye on the secondhand market for these may well be to your advantage.

I would not let weight or problems with installing be too much of a deciding factor in your choice, it is a lot of money to invest and the quality of the machine comes first, getting it into your work area may be daunting for you and your husband but spare hands are usually available for a pint of beer.

What sort of things do you turn? If you do only smaller things maybe it is worth looking at some of the better quality smaller lathes. There are so many different types of lathe on the market thatit is perhaps a good idea to tell us what you would be using it for. Within your budget there are quite a few decent little lathes new and often some really good ones seconf hand as Chas has said.

Pete

Thanks for your replies.
I am living in the Newport,South Wales area. I was recently offered a Jet for around £500. As I was in company with others at the time I didn't note which one but for that price I am assuming it is probably 1442.This weekend I have seen a Fox which I dismissed straight away as unsuitable and Record CL3- Cam and the CL4-Cam variable speed both of which come within my budget.The Axminster is one I think they used when I had a weekend course with the company a few years ago.
I am off to France ( area of the Somme) at the end of October. Does anyone know of suppliers of lathes over there or near the Belgium / France border that would be worth visiting. Are prices better or worse over there.

I've had an Axminster M900 for four years and I've turned bowls and platters up to 14" diameter with a little help from a home made modification.
The only recommendation I would give is that my "Hovel" measures 8feet x 4 feet (used to keep my motorbike in it).
I would buy the same lathe again (only replaced the drive belt four times and the lathe is in daily use) and incidentally your chuck from the Perform will fit.

Latest posts

Back