Lathe servicing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record CL3 and would like it serviced ... I think the chunk mount needs aligning ... Any thoughts pls? Am near Shrewsbury. Thanks

Your diagnosis may well be right but when I had a CL3 (my first lathe) some years ago I was convinced that there was a fault with the headstock and it felt as if the lathe was turning off centre. I renewed the bearing but that didn't help so I sold it. I later realised that there had been nothing wrong with the lathe and the problem was that my tools were not sharp enough and they were bumping on the end grain. ie the problem was me and not the lathe. I don't suggest that this is your problem but I mention it as your question sounded rather familiar to me.

I believe there's very little to service, if the head and tail are miss aligned there's only a couple of possibilities, either the bearings need replacing or
Your diagnosis may well be right but when I had a CL3 (my first lathe) some years ago I was convinced that there was a fault with the headstock and it felt as if the lathe was turning off centre. I renewed the bearing but that didn't help so I sold it. I later realised that there had been nothing wrong with the lathe and the problem was that my tools were not sharp enough and they were bumping on the end grain. ie the problem was me and not the lathe. I don't suggest that this is your problem but I mention it as your question sounded rather familiar to me.
I have the same problem, I cant get my gouge sharp enough at the minute and that results in pieces turning as is they're off centre, it's most noticeable on harder woods like oak and bigger pieces.

If you can get a between centers turning to run true (without chuck) then chances are the chuck itself may be the problem rather than the lathe. Dirt and gunk on the threads and shoulders of the chuck and spindle can cause the chuck to run out of true. Add to that the jaws being not true. Errors multiply so eliminate those you can.

Wood Turning - Chuck and Jaw Setup and Maintenance - YouTube
If the headstock bearings were shot it would run hot and perhaps be noisy as well.
For what its worth I can never entirely get all the errors out of my chuck and have to true up a little after mounting a workpiece.
Regards
John

The bearings do wear out after a time , New kit is available at just over £110

https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/complete-shaft-bearing-assembly-for-cl2cl3-cl4-lathes-2673.php
T:he front bearing is adjustable to a certain extent but if its worn out , Time for a new one , A video is available on youtube , You can test for play , with a chuck or faceplate fitted push and pull firmly , if you can feel and see movement it's either time to adjust or replace the bearing / kit
The kit also includes a new shaft .

Back