Lathe holidays...........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you turning folk think about the concept of a 'Turning holiday'? (of course when we're eventually free from this current madness) We already offer vacations in a beautiful part of Catalonia, a small but lovely cottage with a large private pool, wonderful vistas and the option of being catered for.... now the chance to wood turn outside in the warm air, the choice of 2 different machines (a Nova Comet 2 and a Record Power DVR-xp) also we'll supply Olive wood blanks for you..... we're not ready to do this just yet.... just putting it out there to see how much interest there would be....... looking forward to any feedback.... cheers

Holiday cottage

I think you'd get a good amount of interest, take a look at Nikos Siragas' website as he does courses and arranges accommodation for people, although not on site.

Craft Supplies before they sold up used to offer turning holidays in the Pyrenees if I remember correctly in fact towards the end they would stand at shows just advertising the holidays.
I would have thought for the number of years they did it it was a viable part of their business but I don’t know for sure.
It certainly sounds like a nice idea Adam, best of luck with it if you go down thIs route.

Craft Supplies before they sold up used to offer turning holidays in the Pyrenees if I remember correctly in fact towards the end they would stand at shows just advertising the holidays.
I would have thought for the number of years they did it it was a viable part of their business but I don’t know for sure.
It certainly sounds like a nice idea Adam, best of luck with it if you go down thIs route.
Thanks Doug for the feedback... This idea has serious consideration....

Sounds excellent, but before you take the plunge why not look at adverts for the many other 'activity holidays' like cooking and painting and see how they are structured.

You have a cottage so presumably its couples - I know some of the other types that do single rooms, and others who do activities for the non-participant half. . Are you thinking about teaching - maybe part day and leave alone to practice for part day - in which case you can bundle it all up and make a bit more money. From a strict business viewpoint your limiting factor is probably the cottage so you want to get as many £££ out of it for as many weeks of the year as you can so added value or USP holidays like turning might help a lot.

If I were to think about it, I would say its £££, don't want to spend the holiday budget just on me so my wife would come, what can she do during the day? Singles might think great let's go. So decide what your market is.

I was talking to a turner who has a stall on a local craft market a few months back, as I was starting out turning. I asked him if he did lessons - "used to, but the insurance got so expensive it wasn't worth it". Not sure what your liability rules are in Catalonia but it might be a factor.

Sounds excellent, but before you take the plunge why not look at adverts for the many other 'activity holidays' like cooking and painting and see how they are structured.

You have a cottage so presumably its couples - I know some of the other types that do single rooms, and others who do activities for the non-participant half. . Are you thinking about teaching - maybe part day and leave alone to practice for part day - in which case you can bundle it all up and make a bit more money. From a strict business viewpoint your limiting factor is probably the cottage so you want to get as many £££ out of it for as many weeks of the year as you can so added value or USP holidays like turning might help a lot.

If I were to think about it, I would say its £££, don't want to spend the holiday budget just on me so my wife would come, what can she do during the day? Singles might think great let's go. So decide what your market is.

I was talking to a turner who has a stall on a local craft market a few months back, as I was starting out turning. I asked him if he did lessons - "used to, but the insurance got so expensive it wasn't worth it". Not sure what your liability rules are in Catalonia but it might be a factor.
Great points... Yes I'm going to research how others do things.... I've only been turning a couple of years so possibly I could give some basic lessons but it wouldn't be my main focus... I just feel like myself... some may get a little bored chilling by the pool all day in the warm sun drinking beer (sounds terrible)... dreaming of push cuts and the aroma of Hampshire sheen... Now it's possible to do both 😀... I think the holiday maker themselves would have to provide insurance yes... Very important (especially if one is American) there are a few issues to iron out for sure.....cheers

Also there is an extra single bed and a pull out sofa bed in the lounge/ kitchen area so it's not necessary to be a couple....

. I think the holiday maker themselves would have to provide insurance yes... Very important (especially if one is American) there are a few issues to iron out for sure.....cheers
Well check this out against EU laws. It may not be possible to opt out of liability to third parties even if they agree. And of course you can't get out of negligence though you can insure against it.

Adam, that is the plan for us......
4 bed, 4 bath lux villa in Crete.....
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/4288...1603978249_gUK2imr8CTYYiZJ7&guests=1&adults=1
With a fully equiped wood/metal workshop school for those interested........only charge would be for my time and materials used.....
All machines are full size proffesional quality plus the better end of the DIY selection.....for those intimidated by the big'uns.........
anything made will be shipped to clients address....
once the new barn is fitted out we will add this to the holiday menu.....not sorted insurance out yet but it's generally pretty cheap here....
will watch ur thread with interest....

we're prob a year away for the barn/schooling......
all the clients this year we're very keen to use the school/tools....some have already re booked for next year.......
the range asked for was from children thru retiree's....obviously somethings are not suitable for the young'uns....
we'd stock pen kits and lighting products so for small fast turning jobs, no waiting for parts.....
for those interested...
3x Metal lathes..2x Milling machines plus special folders etc..MIG and Arc welding sets...
2x bench saws..2 spindle moulders..2 wood lathes..2 planer thick..8 routers of diff make and abilities..sliding chop saws..etc
and all the hand tools anyone could want to use......
so not sure yet on hourly rate but for a hundred quid or so the client can do pract what they want or learn specific use of machines....
plus once a good rapour was reached I'd be happy to give my time freely...well for a couple of days anyway.....
there is also 2x two post car ramps and several antique vehicles, so if they want to lean to sevice a car etc I can teach them that as well....
our income is from the holiday rental not the school....
as an add on :-
we live on the seperate plot next door up a private road...with 5 dogs and a fully loaded shotgun by my bed....hahaha...

Well check this out against EU laws. It may not be possible to opt out of liability to third parties even if they agree. And of course you can't get out of negligence though you can insure against it.
Hmmm loop hole comes to mind... I'm going to ask our insurance broker....

My Coronet Major lathe is already on holiday. It's in bits at the back of my shop. Must get around to putting it back together.

John

I teach woodturning for a living (normally), and have a lot of couples come where one isn't interested in turning, and no, it isn't always the lady! Try to make links with non turning related people around you that you can advertise or give publicity to so there is always an option of doing something else. I'm lucky that I live in York. It's 5 minutes one way to the historic centre, and 5 minutes the other way to a major shopping centre so I tend to find people plan their visits around their course in advance. I get people from all over the country because of the location, and the fine teaching of course! :cool:

Almost heaven as a holiday, Playing with wood in the sun for me and days in Las Rambles and the picasso mueseum and Mr Gaudi's house for her or us both and a nice Rioja and tapas in the evening. What is not to like

I teach woodturning for a living (normally), and have a lot of couples come where one isn't interested in turning, and no, it isn't always the lady! Try to make links with non turning related people around you that you can advertise or give publicity to so there is always an option of doing something else. I'm lucky that I live in York. It's 5 minutes one way to the historic centre, and 5 minutes the other way to a major shopping centre so I tend to find people plan their visits around their course in advance. I get people from all over the country because of the location, and the fine teaching of course! :cool:
Hi Neil, yes i did think about this point too, also possibly both parties may like to indulge in making shavings which is possible due to these being 2 lathes, also i forgot to mention the beautiful olive wood blanks would be included in the total price, a real treat to turn Olive wood... we're thinking about also offering hand cut mosaic classes too which could be held simultaneously......

Back