Lathe Height ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santiniuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I guess I have been practising too much as I seem to suffer from 'neck ache' after using the lathe.

I'm using the Axminster M950 with supplied stand. I'm about 6' tall so I feel like I'm always stooping when using it. The main drive spindle is about 2" lower than my elbow.

I have read that as a guide the spindle should be about elbow height.

Before this lathe I used a Clarke one on a bench. The spindle height here must have been at least 6" above my elbow and I think looking back I found this more comfortable to work on.

What type of height do you work at ?

Any advice ?

(I'm going to raise the height tomorrow and hope it helps)

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Most references state the elbow height rule you quoted but I have found that I am far more comfortable with it 4" or so above that level, It allows me to stand more upright and I have very few back and shoulder problems after a long spell at the machine.
Having a rotatable headstock helps in this respect as it avoids having to lean over the bed most of the time which I think is one of the reasons for the lower quoted height.

I can understand the elbow rule for workbench or vice use due to the swing of the arm when planing etc. but as most lathe tools are offered at an angle I find it better for me to have the centre higher.

My current bench came as part of the lathe purchase and was about the recommended height, it only took a couple of weeks use to find it jacked up on some 4X4 blocks.

Anywhere between 3 and 6 inches above the elbow.... didi you get someone else to measure it whilst you stood upright? (you'll get a false measurement if you try to do it yourself)

Have a play around with the height for a few weeks to find what's most comfortable for you... my demo lathe set-up is a bit high and plays hell with me shoulders but at least I'm nearer me miniatures :wink:

I am 6' 5" and used a Perform on it's provided stand for about 10 months with the same results as you. I have recently moved to a shed (from an attic) and have now got it a good 6" higher with the centre about 3" above elbow height.....bliss! Much easier to work on and easier to see what is going on as I am not pemanently bending over.

Pete

I'm 5'10",and lathe centre height is 47" from the ground (36" to top of bench,11" to lathe centre) - which is about 4-5" above elbow height,and I find it comfortable to work at.

Andrew

I've got the record CL4 on the record stand and only last week raised it 40mm to get to elbow height (like others, that's what I had been told). I've noticed the improvements but after a bout of snowmen turning on Sunday I still ached. I'll add another 70-80mm to the blocks next weekend to see what that does.

I've found the elbow height measurement fine,just about right for me.For turning big bowls and small pens. :D
I'm 5' 11".
Paul.J.

Lathe height can be subjective, you are right as a guide the spindle should be elbow height. The bevel angle and length on the chisel can alter how comfortable you feel, if the bevel is long and the angle is not steep to get the bevel to rub you have to hold the handle very low. I have had students who are tall doing this by steepening the bevel angle it made things more comfortable. It is a balance between lathe height and the angles you need to use. The other important factors that cause neck and shoulder ache are gripping the tools too tight ( I call this white knuckle syndrome). The othe thing that may help is an anti fatigue mat.

Thanks very much guys.

Good feedback, interesting to find I'm not alone with my aches.

I'm suspecting that it's a mixture of the white knuckle syndrome that Russell mentions as I think my aches got worse after a session trying to use the skew chisel only on one of the famous snowmen :)

Actually I was concious that I was gripping the tool in a death grip but previous sessions with the skew have ended up with a catch that scared the hell out of me !

I'm pleased to say I must be improving as no scares this time.

I'm off to lift the lathe up now :)

Cheers

Wow !

Braved the cold and went in the garage for a try with the lathe at a new height. Its now about 1" above my elbow height so raised it above 3" overall.

It certainly feels a lot better to work on. Will see how the neck feels tomorrow :roll:

Decided to have a go with the skew again and although i'm still very wary of it I managed to make a 'Skinny Snow Woman' for my little one out of a piece of an old hardwood handrail.

After getting the wood round I used the skew 100% except when I parted it off.

I'm amazed what the finish is like. A very light rub is all that it required.

Cheers

DSC00127.jpg

santiniuk":28z97tb4 said:
I managed to make a 'Skinny Snow Woman' for my little one

Well that's as good an excuse as any I suppose for a turning junkie.

Well done, I still don't like skews, silly really, but somehow I don't trust either them or me when planing with them.

santiniuk":rhm1hl8l said:
Wow !

Decided to have a go with the skew again and although i'm still very wary of it I managed to make a 'Skinny Snow Woman' for my little one out of a piece of an old hardwood handrail.

After getting the wood round I used the skew 100% except when I parted it off.

I'm amazed what the finish is like. A very light rub is all that it required.

Cheers

[

Very nice - snowmen are excellent for learning / improving with any tool, and that one looks really good - a definite improvement on the post in an earlier thread :) Its quicker to turn with a spindle but then takes longer to finish. I like the compromise of the beading /parting tool - which would benefit from a higher lathe |(for me)

I will raise my lathe at the weekend - i'm 5 ft 10" and raised my record stand it 40mm a while ago (old enough to mix units!) to get it to elbow height but will try higher.

Good start with the skew Shaun... you'll learn to luv it!

Next challenge...make several more snowmen, turn a ball and make your little lass a captive skittles game... the one with the ball attached to a string hung from a post on a board...(Old enough to remember the game but too old to remember what it's called :roll: )

oldsoke":2a7mhwf6 said:
Good start with the skew Shaun... you'll learn to luv it!

Next challenge...make several more snowmen, turn a ball and make you're little lass a captive skittles game... the one with the ball attached to a string hung from a post on a board...(Old enough to remember the game but too old to remember what it's called :roll: )

'Bar skittles' .....because it used to be a common game in pubs

(So my granfather told me :lol: )

Pete

My lathe is just about elbow height, but how I measued it was to stick out my hand like I was going to shake someone else's hand, this is just about perfect for me.

The other thing I'll mention is that instead of moving your lathe bench up or down an inch at a time to find the height you like, you can start a bit high, then put some boards or plywood on the floor to fine tune it, when you find a height you like then you can move your stand to that height.

Whoops, one more, make sure you put some kind of an anti-fatigue mat in front of your lathe, the area where you stand, make a HUGE difference on neck, shoulder, and back pain, good shoes or boots as well.

Nice snow-woman!

I used to hate the skew, I called it "The Evil Skew" but then I got Alan Lacer's DVD on the skew, and now I love it, one of my "Go to" tools.

If you want a tool that makes the skew seem like fun to turn with, easy as pie, then get a Bedan...........

jfe_bedan_big_small1.jpg

This is a French tool, I've seen Jean-Francois Escoulen turn with it twice now, and boy does it work and work fast.............Used with the bevel up. :shock:

jfe_bedan_pating_tool.jpg

Just hogging off the wood........

jfe_2min_egg.jpg

A "Less than" two minute egg!

I practice with mine every day, as least 10 minutes a day and I'm getting the hang of it.

One more thing about spindle height, I think most people would like the height of their lathe set differently depending on what they are working on, face work or spindle work, so you might have to compromise a bit.
Another thing that can help alleviate the back and neck pain is think about how you are gripping the tools. I used to grip them so hard my hands hurt the next morning, I've since learned to lighten up on my iron grip, one thing I did was to write "RELAX" in bold letters on the shade of my light over the lathe, I see that and remember to relax, (also remember to breathe!) :wink:

Cheers!

Nice snow person Shaun :lol:
Looks like your getting the hang of the Skew,which is more than i can say for meself :(
Have tried several times with it but always seem to get that big dig in.Which is enough for me to put it back.
Keep up the good work.
Paul.J.

Shaun.
Regarding the lathe height and what Stuart says about standing on some sort of mat.
I made a wooden duckboard to stand on,about 3" high,off the concrete floor which is murder in the cold,and this as made a difference for me too.
Used to get pains in my legs.
Needless to say the lathe had to go 3" higher than my elbow height.

Paul.J.

Back