Latest Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This is the latest in the series I have been working on for a while and enjoy re-visiting.

This one is 170mm dia x 90mm high.

Continuing with my interests in far eastern philosophies with including this within each piece I am trying to tweek the design and move further away from the amount of input I have with regards to certain aspects of the making process.

IE, here I am using several small lengths of bamboo for the handle instead of one,which forces me to let go of how much control I have over the final outcome/result and to allow the natural easthetics of the material to dictate the end result.

Although I have to say it is hard not to fiddle, and become to involved in the process. :)

Eventually it will sit on a stand/plinth but I have yet to find a piece of wood suitable, nor at this stage am I sure how I want to proceed with it so it will sit on my shelf for a while so I can think about the best way forward.

Comments welcome.

IMG_0325inst-1.jpg

IMG_0331wowtop.jpg

At the moment Mark I like it "as is" the finial although pronounced has a delicate none-overpowering look to it that to my eyes seems more instinctive rather than engineered, had to search back a while to compare it with previous pieces in the series.

I am afraid I can't find anything to constructively criticise in this piece................sorry :eek:

Hi all

Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

Chas

Thank you. During my research of Japanese culture, etc I have fallen for the way in which they can take what are very mundane objects and some how turn them into items of great subtle beauty. The way that it appears to me that they do this is to connect with the materials they are using on a level higher than technical skill alone. It is not somthing that I understand as yet but enjoy experimenting with. The difference between getting it right and not is a subtle line which unless I really engage in is just lost.

So your comments are appreciated as I have acheived what I set out to do.

Allen

Thank you for your comments

The wood is sycamore which has been stained ofr a base colour. Most of my work now is turned in either beech or sycamore as it is such a brilliant wood to work in.

I can rough it wet and leave it on a shelf without putting it in a bag or worrying about the seasoning. It dries without cracking, takes carving and texturing well, and is so easy to get hold of.

Now that I am more and more into adding colours and textures it is the best wood for me to use.

Lee

Thanks, as said I enjoy making these pieces and feel that I have finally connected with a style that I will continue with. Mind you I have a few other designs to work with, ( when I get the time).

Jen

Thank you

The surface treatment was a technique shown to me some time ago by Philip Streeting and works well for the effect that I try to acheive.

Each line is burn in with a single pyrograpy wire and in total take me arounf 3-4 hours to do, any more than 20 min intervals and my brain is fried.

Then the piece is stained with verdigris wax rubbed into the texture. This gives the aged effect.

Quite often I will also use metal foils, paints and artist acrylic paints to add highlights/tones,ect to different areas. I have even been known to use porrage oats for a texturing medium. :).

Thank you all again for your comments

Hi Mark,

Yet another very nice turning I really like the affect you achieve, thank you for telling us how you achieve the effect on the piece I’ll be sure to give it a go when
I get a bit of time I have a bit of we sycamore in the shed so I’ll try to get a similar finish as you have achieved, but i'll use the microwave in the drying process.

Spasm

Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments and I was very pleased on the cover in WOW. I enjoy making these pieces very much and have numerous forms finished and ready for working on so I may explore this type for a while.

Thank you all again.

cornucopia":2uj4jsvq said:
Congratulations on the wow cover Mark

Thanks George.

I have not heard from you and though you had gone to ground.

Speak soon

Back