Latest output from my emporium.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been quite busy in the workshop and in other directions so I have not had chance to post any photos of the latest projects out of the shop. So hopefully if I can get the transfere right from Photobucket we may have somthing to look at.
Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Four views of an Oak bowl and now two sycamore bowls with food safe finish.
Picture018.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Then a couple of earing stands in Oak for my daughters.
Picture022.jpg

I look forward to your comments and should be around on and off during the day to reply,
Regards,
Ian

Nice to see you have been in a spin :lol:

Good work , they all look nicely turned and finished .

Just my 2 p worth :p

Not a fan of flat rims on bowls it looks to detract from the round / curved form of the item

Also not to keen on the odd wood on top of the earing holders " I think that's what they are ) tends to not blend with the wood below and stick out too much colour wise

Thanks for showing us your work :wink:

au contrair

I really like the wide rimmed bowl it's my fave of the bunch. Goes to show that this hobby is really diverse, something for everyone.

Agree with Blister about the top of the earring stand. Doesn't work for me.

Some nice work there. Looks as though yhe finish is good. Personally I do like the flat edge on the first bowl. We all have different tastes :lol:

I do however agree with the comments on the earing stand and would have preferred a slimmer leg as well if it is mine. All a matter of personal prefernce.

Pete

Hi Blister and Wizer,
Thank you for your comments and it goes to prove we all have different tastes.
I can take on board your coments about the finials on the earing stands and so you would prefere to see them in oak as well I guess.
I have interpritted from others work to make the finials out of contrasting wood and that was what I was trying to achieve.
But thanks once again we cannot learn and move on if we don't measure our improvements or progress.
Best regards,
Ian

Hi Pete,
Thank you for the comments and I understand where you you are coming from with the stems of the earing stands and after I had finished them and glued them up I began to wonder if I should have made them more slender.
So onwards and upwards and more shaving,
Best regards,
Ian

Some strong, simple designs, well finished and very useable. Hard to beat a simple, well proportioned Oak bowl. I do like square rims on bowls, particularly the contrast of a really sharp edge with the curve, and the way the grain abruptly changes direction.

Pete II

Hi Pete II,
Thank you for your comments, I'm pleased you liked the Oak bowl. Thank goodness we all like different designs, styles, textures, materials etc, etc.
Its good to get feedback, nice to hear from you.
Best regards,
Ian

HI,

That looks a mighty fine Oak salad bowl there ! Just needs a couple of serving utensils to go with it. I really really like the sycamore ( 1st one ).

Re Earing holders, there are a few pics around here, i posted loads from a recent club comp, and someone ( i think it was Cornucopia ) posted a brilliant lidded one a while back.

Loz

Really nice looking pieces Ian :D
Like the band round the Oak piece,love the grain pattern on the Sycamore pieces too,but my fav is the second Sycamore bowl.
Nice flowing shape and i like the rim on it.
Bet your daughters are pleased with the earring stands :D

The oak bowl is quite stunning - lovely shape and finish,and just enough of a detail round the rim to highlight the piece :D
Like both the sycamore bowls,although I can see the first being more useable (more traditional salad bowl shape - get loads in it.. :wink: )
Ear-ring stands are nice,personally think they would look better all in oak - it's such a great timber!

Andrew

Top bowl in oak suits my taste best followed by the first sycamore bowl.

I would prefer the earing holders to be more delicate but hey, its a personal thing and the workmanship and finish are spot on :D

Regards,

Mike C

The Oak is my favorite, first Sycamore I also like for its clean lines, both finished well.
The earing holders are not to my taste I'm afraid, preferring something considerably slimmer & to me more elegant in form.

Hi Ian.

I'm up for the first Sycamore bowl as No 1, then the Oak bowl as No 2.

Also not a fan of the finials on the earring holders. Like them on box lids and so on, but they just don't seem to sit right on the holders.

Excellent work all the same.

Some people who make ear ring stands put what looks like a finial on top as a ring holder. It would obviously need to be a bit slimmer though.
Pete

Good morning fellas,
Thank you to Paul J, Andrew, George, Mike C, Chas, Tam and Pete. I have taken on board all your views and thank you for your positive feedback.

A few points to clarify the finials are slender enough for rings and I made them for that purpose and the columbs are about 3/4 inch and I do agree in hindsight I should have made them more slender.

I'm pleased that taking a cross section of the replies all three bowls are liked by different people which is a good result. I made the sycamore bowls for salad use and I agree with all those of you who like the oak bowl that the grain is superb and is my favorite.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was being pulled in other directions by the family and could not reach the keyboard.

So back to the workshop, more shavings, more items to photograph and more enjoyment of our pursuit.

Best regards,

Ian

Hi Ian, I do like the oak bowl, it looks very solid and usable. I'm not so keen on the shapes of the two sycamore ones though but as said many times before this is just a case of personal preference. They all look nicely finished, good stuff.

JT

Back